Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chief Wiggum

Go-arounds

Guest Chief Wiggum

Hi guys. I recently created a approach for SBRF and I was testing it today. When on final, pressed TOGA button to initiate the missed approach, and for my surprise my A/P was disengaged (if I engage it again everything goes well). Is it normal?In this approach, i turn to final very close to the runway (2.2NM), and I activated TOGA as soon as my turn to final started. Is this right?As this is a non-precision approach, I should activate TOGA at MSA or it's ok to wait a little more? What if ATC asks me to go-around before I turn final? It should continue all the approach or go to a fix and hold without the necessity of turing final?Finally, this is the approach:APPROACH VOR18 HOLD AT NAVAID REC LEFT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 032 ALT 3000 SPEED 200 LEGTIME 1 FIX R75 FIX R75A FIX R19 FIX R20 RNW 18 HOLD AT NAVAID REC LEFT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 032 ALT 3000 SPEED 200 LEGTIME 1Hope you could understand me.Thanks for any help,

BernardoIf you are on a one channel approach it is normal for the A/P to disengage if you do a GA. If on a two channel approach the A/P should not disengage.I hope someone can fill in your other blanks. ;-)TGIF :-beerchug

Guest boxjockey99

BernardoThis sounds a bit of a strange approach but it may be that some of your terminology is a little different. Firstly you only get an automatic go around when you are doing a dual channel approach and so only when doing an ILS! All other approaches don't use the APP mode, nonprecision such as a VOR uses VOR/LOC or HDG SEL for lateral guidance and V/S for vertical."In this approach, i turn to final very close to the runway (2.2NM), and I activated TOGA as soon as my turn to final started. Is this right?"An appraoch where you turn final at that short a range is NOT normal, yes there are exceptions lik ethe old Kai Tak IGS or Funchal but normally you should be established on the inbound course by at the very latest of 4-5 miles in order to get the aircraft stabilised. If you just turned onto finals why would you want to hit TOGA? surely you want to land not go around? Unless of course you were below the MDA/H (Minimum Descent Altitude / Height). Basically you want to descend on the published slope passing all the check heights shown on the plate at the right times and end up at the MDA/H around the Missed approach point. If nothing is seen when you reach the Missed Approach Point (usually either a DME range or an elapsed time) you are required to action a go around and follow the missed approach procedure published on the plate."As this is a non-precision approach, I should activate TOGA at MSA or it's ok to wait a little more?"Not MSA is the Minimum Safe Altitude, also known as Sector safe. This means you can go down to this without fear of hitting anything when you are within 25nm of the airfield. This is NOT THE SAME AS MDA/H which is the Minimum Descent Altitude /Height and is effectively the lowest you may descend to when within 5 degrees of the inbound track (thats half scale deflection or the beam bar for a VOR approach). So you may descend to the MSA whenver you are within the 25nm ring of the airfield / navaid assuming you have been cleared to descend. Once you are established on the inbound track you are then allowed to desced with the vertical profile to the MDA/H. I know it sounds complex but without a plate to show you it is difficult to explain, I'll see if I can find one to butcher and post here some time soon."What if ATC asks me to go-around before I turn final? It should continue all the approach or go to a fix and hold without the necessity of turing final?" If ATC tell you to go around prior to turning finals the you do just that. hit TOGA get the aircraft climbing Gear up (if it was down) flap 15 and climb at Vref + 20 (I think). DO NOT rely on the the FMC, go HDG SEL and set do what the missed approach tells you eg climb 3000ft turn towards XXX navaid and hold! Hope that lot helpsKris

Guest Chief Wiggum

I know it's strange to go-around when that close from the runway, but I was just testing if it works correctly ...I normally hit TOGA, re-activate LNAV (if above 400AGL) and VNAV above after 3000AGL and let it turn to final and go to a fix and hold. I didn't find a way to program the FMC in order to go to this fix directly after hitting TOGA. Is there one, and is this procedure correct?Thanks for the help,