Sign in to follow this  
Murray_CHYZ

OT: Got to share!

Hello fellow flyers,Just had an experience that was "a first" for me. I was flying from CYHZ (Halifax, NS, Canada) to EGLL (Heathro). I use FSBuild, ActiveSky, UltimateTraffic and the default ATC.During the "long" flight, I decided to cancel the IFR as I wanted to have a "quite" two channel approach. I asked for FF so I could call EGLL tower later and ask for a "full stop". I was given permission "straight in" to 27R (which I already had in the FMC). I was about 15 NM out. At about 3NM out with GS captured, gear down, flaps at 30, speed at 157, and dual channel set... I received a "caution" from the TCAS. I looked down and notice a "+2". Ok... no problem... I've been cleared by ATC... who ever it is will get waved off. All of a sudden at about 800 ft, BOOM I either got tagged or was pushed down by the "back wash" (sorry, don't know what it is called).Well sir, all hell broke loose. Alarms, warnings... I tried to reinitialize the AP as I was still close to being in line with the runway. At this point I could see the bugger who tagged me as he was finally waved off... it was a 757.I could not recover the AP so I went for a manual approach... I should have performed a missed approach. I flared at the proper time but alas, I was to fast and tore off my landing gear... SO close, but I crashed. A LONG flight for nothing! Well, not for nothing I guess.Anyone else have a story like this the want to share? Post it here!PMNG, thanks for "realism"! Murray

Guest alt k1ll3r

Hi Murray,LOL! :)i hate it to when your flying for 4-3hrs AND then CRASH !! (it happened me just ones ) BUT it still annoying.Slava n

Great story Murray :DThe lovely AI would be so much better if they respected the seperation limits :-hahCheers.

Guest Erups

I think you have to blame ActiveSky's "Wake Turbulence Simulation" ;)Try switching it off.

Ahhh... "Wake Turbulence"... thanks! I think I'll leave it on for the effect. I'll just have to be a better pilot next time and "move" out of the way. Perhaps the 757 had an emergency and could not go around.Murray

Guest LLgaz

One thing to know about AI....you can turn off "crash when hitting dynamic traffic" and if you run into one on the ground you're ok. But if you run into one in the air, you won't crash outright, but your airplane WILL stop DEAD in the air. Result.....you'll start diving and if you're on finals, there's no way to really recover. Since this didn't happen to you, I think you're the victim of "wake turbulence". I fly with AI turned off completely. Only have other traffic when on Vatsim. The CSLs look horrible compared to AIA, or PAI or UT, etc, but at least you know those ugly CSLs will behave themselves properly....LOL.

Well Murray,inspired by your little adventure I also chose to make a loooong trans-atlantic flight from Halifax to Heathrow. I also got cleared for 27R, had about 15 planes on the TCAS and I also got into trouble! :) WHAM I had a BMI over me trying to squeeze me into terra firma. I got away unscratched but decided to land from 09L instead just to teach those controllers a lesson... ;)/Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi Folks,Just to add a "tease", you are going to love the new version of Radar Contact, because it won't allow AI planes to hit you (YEA!!!!)Now you have to wait for the next release of RC, which won't be too long I hope. We are still working on some other neat things (he he)Ain't I bad :-)CheersBob

Guest speight

Anyone spotted UFO's yet?

>Hi Folks,>>Just to add a "tease", you are going to love the new version>of Radar Contact, because it won't allow AI planes to hit you>(YEA!!!!)>>Now you have to wait for the next release of RC, which won't>be too long I hope. We are still working on some other neat>things (he he)>>Ain't I bad :-)>>Cheers>>BobHey Bob how are you? Bob, I used to own a copy of RC a few years ago. At one point the CDR I copied it to got lost. I sent an e-mail and got permission to download another copy. Well, since then I lost it... again! (DOH)Would it be possible to get another copy. I know this is asking alot, but, I thought I would give it a go.My full name is: Murray WhetenI was living at: Merrimac Dr, Dartmouth, NS CanadaI purchaed the software with a MasterCard (can't give number here for obvious reasons)Also, I am more than willing to purchase the NEW version, but alas, I perfer to download. Will version 3 "ever" be available for purchase via download. The reason I ask is because if you send me a copy here in Canada, I will have to pay a brokers fee, and taxes (8%). This coupled with the exchange rate makes RC very expensive.Thanks,Murray