Sign in to follow this  
Guest legbeforewicket

Panel Stretch on Multiple Monitors

Guest legbeforewicket

Dear All,I have a spare 19" CRT monitor. Is it possible to use my Video card Radeon 9800 Pro ( 2 monitor ports) to show the panel and outside stretched across both screens. I am aware that you can show "other" screens such as FSNAV, SB and throttle, overhead etc but can you show the main panel on both screens?I am just startingout in my home Simpit so here goes. Ideally I will have multi monitor set ups over a network. But...well I thought this could be a start.Thanks for any helpAndrew

In theroy you can. I have done an outside view on a second monitor (I run 4 monitors) BUT your system will come to a screaching halt. Due to the resource requirements of displaying scenery, outside views must be done with another computer running WideView or other like programs. The "other" computers in the network need not be hot runners so look for some second hand systems at the swap meet and build those "views". Mike B.

Guest Popart

I think he meant the panel to be shown on the two monitors. In that case, you won't be able to do it with an ATI based card. Nvidia would be able to stretch panels over two screens though.(I know this cos I have a Radeon and multiple monitors too)Arthur Deelen.

Guest legbeforewicket

Thanks for the replies,Yes I did mean to stretch the panels. My ATI control box seems to suggest that if I hook up another monitor then this will extend the desktop. Perhaps I better find some old pc's. Currently I am running a A64 3200, I have 2 old P2 400mhz, will these do for anything?I could then have 3 comps and 3 monitors.Do you know where I could get any more info on this?ThanksAndrew

Guest ba747heavy

If you own the 8/900, you can undock the overhead panel and move it a second monitor. You can also undock both FMC's and move them over. Doesn't matter ATI or nVidia, it will work.Also, I think you can 'stretch' the view across two monitors, meaning that windows sees one monitor and everything is stretched accordingly across two monitors. Not a good idea, this is really ugly and IMHO isn't satisfactory viewing anything. Dialouge boxes and the like seems to get skewed. This is just my experience.If you want windows to see two seperate monitors, and treat them differently (different resos and the like, not sure if ATI can do this but I don't see why not. My experience w/ multimonitors is exclusively with nVidia), then you can't have outside views on your non primary monitor (primary being the one monitor windows sees as the main, and it puts the desktop icons and the taskbar on this monitor). To see outside of the plane, you will need to do like others have suggested and use another computer to render the outside view.

Guest Popart

>Yes I did mean to stretch the panels. My ATI control box seems>to suggest that if I hook up another monitor then this will>extend the desktop. That's right, you can extend the desktop. But if you want to expand a window from within FS over the two panels it just isn't possible with ATI. You can have different views on both monitors, but not an expanded one.>Perhaps I better find some old pc's. Currently I am running a>A64 3200, I have 2 old P2 400mhz, will these do for anything?Would be enough for instruments views I guess. Not sure about outside views though...>Do you know where I could get any more info on this?Do a Google search. There's plenty of information to find on this subject! Search for Wideview or WideFS and start from there.

Guest stockerharris

Andrew,Another option which you might like to consider is the Matrox Parphelia 128 or 256 MB video board which allows a streched desktop across three screens running off one computer. You can either have it set up to show the cockpit and both side views, a sort of Cinemascope effect, or as I run it with only two screens. All the ancilliaries on one of the screens (AS2004,RC3 and the FMC and Radios) and the cockpit on the other.I can still manage about 25fps at Gatwick EGKK with 3.0GHz Pentium.David

Guest Moosenoodles

Umm i have a 9800XT card and i can use both monitors, i can have the 2nd monitor show outside view without any issues - also if i undock a panel and drag it over from one monitor to another it will show half on one monitor and half on the other..Not quite sure how u guys are not able to do this.. All i do is enable the 2nd monitor from right click on desktop, properties - then the settings tab, then choose 2nd monitor in the drop down list and click on extend my desktop and all is good :(Cheers,Moose

Guest ba747heavy

Moose,You should notice a huge drop in FPS. At least, my nVidia gives me a large drop in FPS with two outside views being rendered.