Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thrust-Master

Descend call

Guest Thrust-Master

Dear GroupI'm just wondering why ATC calls descend always after TOD.so I've never used Descend Now button.Now I got tired to report missed approches. :)please, help me if there is any clues here.Thanks in advance.p.s. or is it time to move on to other ATC add-on? any input for ATC add-on would be appreciated.

Guest FattyBear

ATC calculates your descent differently than the FMC does, which is more accurate. You could try entering cruise wind into the FMC from Active Sky 2k4 and see if that makes a difference. One factor is if you are inbound for say runway 18, but the active runway is 36, your distance to the airport will be longer as ATC vectors you to the recipricol runway, causing a later descent than scheduled. I have probably lost you and myself, but there are several factors invovled I think. Try also using the exact same flight plan with the FMC as with ATC. They will never be right on the TOD though. The closest I have gotten is like 10 or 15 n.m..

Are you refering to MSFS's ATC?If you are then just request a lower altitude before TOD.Floyd

Guest zip

Couple of recommendations for ATC:1) Radar Contact (CD only), highly recommend you have TWO PCs and use WideFS because it's a fairly large program.2) For the best experience, and if you have a reasonably fast internet connection, visit us on the VATSIM network where your friendly "in the flesh" ATC controller for the better experience.The online factor, combined with other pilots and the use of real ATC procedures makes it a lot more fun. You can get started at www.vatsim.net. The service is free and we try to create as best of an environment for flying as is possible with FS. All controllers need to go through rigorous training, and theoretically know their stuff. Of course, as there are student pilots, there are student controllers as well. But, overall, it will take your FS experience to new heights.Cheers,

Guest ba747heavy

If your talking about VATSIM, that is because we don't know when you want to start down, so we have to make an educated guess as to where you should be starting down. If we are telling you to come down later than you want, just pipe up about 10 nm from T/D and ask 'ABQ CTR, I would like to start my descent now' and then controller will clear you to descend via the arrival you filed (you did file an arrival right? ;), or d/m some altitude as per the local procedure.

Guest zip

*waves at Fred, neighbor to the south of ZDV*Yap, as my fellow controller states, if you want do descend, ask the controller!My recommendaton is to program an alt restriction (that you set, or perhaps one that ATC sets for you), have the FMC compute and display the TD point (or tells you "unable alt" if it can't in which case you can ask for a racetrack loop to descend to alt). Once you have the TD, request from the controller a lower altitude such as "requesting FL250", and in most cases it will be granted (as long as it fits within separations and direction of flight parameters). Remember to give yourself time to receive the clearance, so you get it before you cross the TD point.I remember a descent in Salt Lake where I was expected to do a 8,000 drop in five miles, which needless to say, didn't work and I ended up doing loops for a while.Of course, all of this assumes you're flying online :)