Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bpilot

ATC language

Guest Bpilot

Hello, Captains,I'm looking for some literature or hints (MSFS) regarding the ATC terminology, such as RNAV, DILS and all the other stuff one sees when selecting an approach from ATC, and how do they relate to the FMC.It should ne simple, but I can't find any.Thanks,BPilot

Guest FattyBear

I can't give you a specific source, but I can give you some info (not all conrete of course) on some approaches. RNAV is an approach that uses the FMS and GPS to guide you on the horizontal axis. It does not provide vertical guideance. However, you can use VNAV in conjunction with it and have a "virtual ILS" in the NG. GPSs like the 530 in the default planes can also do RNAV approaches, albeit without vertical guideance. DILS approaches are just run of the mill ILS approaches. The waypoints created from selecting a DILS are the same on the runway's approach chart. There are other approaches that use Navaids. You can use a VOR that is aligned with the runway for lateral guidance, as well as use NDBs. It's just like tracking a VOR radial or NDB, just keep it aligned. It's important to note that VOR/NDB/LOC/ILS approaches are done using an actual radio navaid. RNAV is just an invisible line I guess using IRS/GPS data. Im sure theres plenty more to talk about but I think that's all I know. Hope that helps.

Guest Bpilot

Thanks, Alex,Maybe, one day, I'll become a pilot myself...Keep flying!BPilot

Guest Peter Wobig

Hello Sergio,there's a lot to find in the web about this special airmen's language, which just on the first look sounds like english :-)Look here for example: http://www.estraha.net/atc/phraseology.html... or go to Google and search for: "ATC PHRASEOLOGY"Another adress for you will be the Online-Flying Networks, who have very good training material for pilots. You shall register to use it, but it's free. So don't hesitate to take the offer there.Look at:www.vatsim.netwww.ivao.orgwww.flightproject.netwish you the bestPeter