Sign in to follow this  
Guest autothrottle

descent with spoilers

Guest autothrottle

Hello,I would like to know if we can make a whole descent with the spoilers ? Because during a real flight the pilot deployed the spoilers during all the descent except for the landing and there were no vibrations as we can think.I would like to know the opinion of other pilots apropos this mode of descent with spoilers deployed.Thanks in advance.

Guest meyomyx

HiNo reason why not. It does happen - especially if trying to catch up on schedule or if ATC want to slot you in quick. Generally though, it implies you've been burning a few too many pounds at cruise.I once flew into Split virtually to the floor with spoilers but then the flight was several hours late due to birdstrike on incoming flight.Cheers

Guest tcable

The only spoiler restrictions that I know of IRL are at certain flap settings.Theoretically, one could fly the entire descent to the FAF with spoilers. Hopefully one does not get 'slam dunked' like that often.Tim

There are a couple of reason why you would use the spoilers in descent, first, if you have too much energy and are coming close to the poll and need to slow or trying to keep the path in a manual descent.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |