Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

The MAAM R-4D lives on!

TRUE....HOW TRUE !!!!!!!!! Now MAAM will get more needed $$$$$$ and we will get a fine pile of electrons to play with! I'm happy!!! Just as a note....there is no I in TEAM.Don

"Now MAAM will get more needed $$$$$$ and... "Don, Thanks for all the freware Bush Pilot stuff and I think you are right about that ! Any type of a release will net more charity funds than no version coming out at all.But as we all know Roy was not very happy when the early versions of R4D netted very very very little money for MAAM because hundreds of generous users did head the README plea and donated.So in the next version he made donations mandatory ('donationware') and that time thousands donated instead of hundreds (because they had to). But the teamates were true believers in the ideal of freeware, therefore donationware Roy was odd man out.Freeware with a plea for donations in the next version? That idea did not work worth a damn the first time, hopefully Don is right and it will succeed better next go round. And it just might, Heck you never know human nature might change for the better before the next version is released...http://pweb.jps.net/~wasatch/_uimages/cessna.gif==WHK==

Guest Matt Johnson

WHK,I don't think it is necessarily the case that Bill and Jan are against the compulsory donationware concept (despite what Roy stated in his original press release).--M

Matt, you have been propagandized. Since it was I who originally walked into MAAM three years ago, conceived the idea of a donationware CD, and recruited the other team members, do you really think I was against making money for MAAM? The "disagreement" that led to Roy's cancellation of the R4D project by not allowing his code to be used in the VC gauges came about because Jan improved the sound package and sent it to the beta-team (which I was running) without Roy's permission. Although Jan had at first disliked the idea of time-locking the downloadable version (which we all had considered donationware all along -- go read the package documents) he changed his mind quickly when he realized that so few people had voluntarily donated and that the system was effective. He pointed that out to Roy and asked him to remove that implication and the "gun to the head" business, which was another fiction, from the PR on RCS. Roy did not change them, obviously.Also, do you think that this cancellation and Roy's refusal to reconsider in the interest of MAAM and the FS community even after a very generous apology by Jan for his "transgression" is the mark of a man with MAAM's best interest at heart? If I did not go along with him, Roy threatened to quit the B-25 project, too. Does that sound beneficial to the museum? What does the fact that Jan and I will proceed ahead with a series of MAAM donationware CDs with the full backing and cooperation of MAAM, while Roy has always intended to produce 5 aircraft of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight next indicate to you?So, I felt it was necessary for the good of MAAM to put an end to the downward spiral. Better that the Gmax R4D revenue be late, than never -- and better that the B-25's future contribution also be protected from such capricious behavior. Go ask the folks at MAAM, if you have a doubt. They have not been fooled for a minute about any of this. That's why Jan, and Fred, and I are MAAM-SIM now, with the approval of MAAM President Russ Strine. We are a part of the museum - still volunteers, but an arm of MAAM. RCS (Roy Chaffin Studios)is not. I will not sling mud in the forums. I'll leave that to others. But I won't stand by and see disinformation spread, either, especially if it might harm the cause of our museum. We will let our record now, and in the future speak for itself. BTW, Pete at MAAM said the CD's are flying out the door and he's sold out again. I am burning more as I write this. Thanks to everyone for your heart-warming support.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM"the R4D Team"

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest Matt Johnson

Apart from the fact that I think you're talking to WHK and not me, I fully agree. ;-)--M

SORRY MATT. I did not mean you, it was WHK that has been mislead. Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most. ;-)Cheers, Bill

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Well Well. Are you wondering why you did not get a response?Not prying? Give me a break.No need to respond to my message if you know what I mean.BobG

Jaap, is dit sarcastisch bedoeld???________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

;-) (sorry) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Bill,"BTW, Pete at MAAM said the CD's are flying out the door and he's sold out again. I am burning more as I write this"Is that the same CD that was available at the MAAM WWII show a couple of weeks ago?:)If not, could the musuem set up a "reserved list" for the GMAX version? I will make another donation to get on that list.Thanks...BobP :)

You will ALWAYS have my support Bill.I like the way you do business and I like the folks on your team. Oh...I also like the product too! LOL! The cause is second to none. Fully behind it. I have seen some of their planes at airshows and anyone with an appreciation of old aircraft should be more then willing to support what you are doing here. As I said in a previous posting here, there is no I in TEAM. You guys are a TEAM now. Looking forward to your end product buddy. Thanks for the regroup! Couldn't have found a better group!Don Moser

Sorry, Bob. It's still Edition 7. We don't want to put up any sort of reserve list for the Gmax with the release date so indefinite. But don't let that stop you -- donate until you drop! :-) Perhaps once we get a little closer, like we are in the beta program, we will consider some sort of reservation system. Early days yet, but we'll all get there and I'll keep you informed by way of press releases. You can count on Jan for more great preview screen-shots, too. He is a master of those, as you may have noticed. :-)))Bill RambowMAAM-SIM"the R4D Team"

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Hey Don, we love you too! :-)) Seriously, we (not I) ;-) really appreciate the support. We (and not the royal We, either) agree that MAAM is a special bunch of people doing some great work. The P-61 story alone would make one hell of a good movie. Check it out if you haven't already. (The URL for the Widows Web is in our press release.) Amazing! In just the three years I have been there, the plane has really started to take shape. But everything is fantastically expensive. Russ wants to finish it and see it fly while his Dad, MAAM's founder, Eugene "Pop" Strine is still alive. Obtaining the Black Widow and restoring it is Pop's doing and dream. The tragedy is that Northrop Corp., the builder of the plane, and now the B-2 "Spirit" stealth bomber, declined to help with the project. They could wave their corporate magic wand and make it a reality with a healthy donation -- tax free, I might add. What great press that would be for them. So if anyone has any pull with that outfit... ;-)

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org