Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

The MAAM R-4D lives on!

Thanks for the correction, Bill, perhaps indeed I was a little too gullible while reading on the other site. == WHK ==

Guest jaapverduijn

No sarcasm at all. I have before helped out people by mailing them the odd 50$ note. It saddens me that the general reaction here regarding an offer to help a person, apparently is one of scorn. We all appreciate Heather's presence here, and we all enjoy her aircraft paint jobs. Repeatedly she has, in the course of conversation, let slip that she's in bad financial circumstances. If y'all prefer to say: "Oh, that's just too bad" and remain sitting on the faithful bum twiddling the famous thumbs... oh well... that's alright with me. But it doesn't do much to solve the situation, does it? Any of you ever been really poor? I have, and especially now I'm reasonably well-off (not Bill-Gates-rich, but quite comfortable) I take care to NEVER forget how it was, and how every now and then a small sum made a world of difference.

Guest jaapverduijn

In all fairness I have to add that this financial callousness is not confined to this here forum. Coupla months ago, on the IL2 forum, I mentioned that I wanted to get rid of: 1 boxed version of IL2-Sturmovik, 1 boxed version of CFS2, 1 Logitech Wingman Attack II joystick, and if I remember correctly a few other minor bits and bobs... for free. Just for the asking.Next few days I got severely admonished by several members of that forum, on account of them considering it very bad and thoroughly wrong to offer anything for FREE: I should have asked MONEY for it. Well, I didn't, and I don't. Jaap.

Who at Northrop did Russ talk to? What part of the organization? Bill, if you can get me some contact information he dealt with, I may be able to help.

Guest Heather 636

Good day everyone. A wonderful news flash about the MAAM project right?Please, before we, who all share a similar love or else we wouldn't be here, get carried away, I think I need to step in real quick before the flames start on what originated as a topic of very good news.One thing we must all remember and constantly remind ourselves of is that we are dealing with a medium of communication where all we have are written words to go by. Only this, in a community made up of people from many nations with different cultures and views, despite our common interests. Unfortunately, we do not have any body language to go by, tone of voice, facial expressions, etc. to help us where we would otherwise be able to judge the sincerity of the person speaking.Don't worry everyone, I am not going to get into a novella here with personal details that do not belong here. What this looks like are a number of people who, with all good intentions, got the the wrong impressions and started off on the wrong foot. I really love this community and the friends I'v made here and certainly do not wish to see any animosities or resentment get started where everyone involved all meant the best.Jaap, I will admit that I was not sure of your initial intent with your post here, a personal message would have been better, then again, the text communication thing. (shrug). I do wish, however, to thank you most sincerely for your kind concern and good intent.No less than I thank my friends Bob and Francois for theirs. It is now obvious, I believe, that everyone meant well, Jaap, wishing to offer a helping hand, Bob and Francois, theirs in concern for my personal dignity. Some feathers are going to really get severly ruffled if this continues like it is so, please, gentlemen, can we all virtually shake hands over this misunderstanding, appreciate each other as decent human beings and continue to be friends in this wonderful atmosphere of flight simming.Jaap, since I have made mention of it, which in hind sight I shouldn't have hence the wrong impressions get started, of my financial condition, I feel that I at least owe you an explanation. I will do so with an email however rather than air dirty laundry here (and you all thought you were going to get to see my lingerie didn't you!?) ;)Thank you gentlemen for your concern, all of you. Now, please, let's continue to be friends and get back to FS.Sincerely,HeatherThe propeller is there to keep the pilot cool. Think not? Watch how much you sweat when it stops unexpectedly. ;)

Guest jaapverduijn

Hi Heather!Fair enough, sure. At jaap@verduijn.net y'all can reach me.Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest jaapverduijn

Hi Heather!The private message thingummy doesn't seem to work well. Just checked, and found your email but it only contained the subject "Good intend and mixed messages" but no text... (sad grin)...Not being a computer wizard (or even a wizard period) it's probably me doing something daft or very undigital.Anyway, to stay on the track of this thread: since several months the R4D is about the only plane I fly because of the great enjoyment it gives, and I don't care who makes the new version, as long as it IS made! ALL those who are/were involved with the project are artists in their own right, and I hope to see new work from ALL of them, either separate or in combination.Be, stay, live and combination well!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest Heather 636

Sorry Jaap, that was my fault. Pressed the right button but at the wrong time. Kind of like the bomb release switch while still on the tarmac, just not as traumatic results.Check your mail.Cheers!Heather

Guest jaapverduijn

Got it now! You'll hear somewhat more extensively from me either today or tomorrow, have to go shopping now for food for 1 wife, 2 daughters, 2 cats, 1 orphaned pet starling, about 20 goldfish, 5 rabbits, 8 chickens, 2 pet rats, 1 guinea pig, and myself.I am (slightly) disabled, and drive one of those silly little carriages... I guess the tiny thing will be overloaded when driving home (grin)!Jaap.

>Sorry, Bob. It's still Edition 7. We don't want to put up >any sort of reserve list for the Gmax with the release date >so indefinite. But don't let that stop you -- donate until >you drop! :-) Bill,Here's the problem I have with this: I'd be glad to "donate" (although I'd prefer it be called payware, a horse by any other name...) but not until and unless I get the Gmax aircraft model. I could care less about gauges -- it may be heresy in terms of what you've all gone through, but in my case any old panel would be just fine for me. And I suppose you already have on that CD some gauges (just not the fancy new ones). But I'm not going to spend any money on a plane that I wouldn't fly all that much when I can wait six months and get a much better looking one.If the Gmax model of the plane is finished (and I have to assume it is, since it was actually shipping on a few CDs until the plug was pulled) why not just include it on the CD now and add the VC and new panel when those are done? That would certainly encourage a lot more people to give you their money now, rather than later.Anyway, just my two cents -- I'm probably in the vast minority (maybe even just me :<(

Guest DNelson

I see there's still no mention of this turn of events on the RCS site. I can't wait to see what spin RC will put on this situation.Dan

Hi Bob. What you don't realize, apparently, is that the virtual cockpit, and hence the gauges which Roy coded, are an integral part of the Gmax model. They are inseparable, whether you ever want to use the VC or not. By pulling his code after the show and the limited release of Edition 8, Roy effectively killed the whole G-Max project -- or so he intended. Jan and I, not to mention MAAM who was counting on the revenue, would absolutely LOVE to get the Gmax Gooney out there! Read the MAAM-SIM PR again if you did not undertand that point. With the addition of Fred Banting to the team, and the removal of the anti-piracy gauge code restriction, we hope to not only get the Gmax R4D out in a reasonable amount of time, but also make it available to Win 98 and ME users. The very idea that we are sand-bagging on this is silly. We want this thing released more than anyone. :-) BTW, never tell the panel and gauge designer that you don't want to look at his work. ;-)Oh, and I don't care what you call it, as long as you give your money to MAAM! :-) :-)Bill RambowMAAM-SIM"The R4D Team"

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

>The tragedy is that Northrop Corp., the builder of the plane.....declined to help with the project

Guest Heather 636

Hello Mr. Rambow,I was looking at the MAAM webpage right after this notice came out. I didn't see anything referring to it, but is there any way i can pay using electronic banking, such as PayPal? Sincerest regards,HeatherThe propeller is there to keep the pilot cool. Think not? Watch how much you sweat when it stops unexpectedly. ;)

>Hi Bob.Well, it's Mike, but I do understand how these threads get confusing at times . >What you don't realize, apparently, is that the virtual >cockpit, and hence the gauges which Roy coded, are an >integral part of the Gmax model. They are inseparableI guess I really don't understand this: are not an aircraft.bgl and the panels (and VC) separate items? They sure look that way when I download them. How else can someone release Gmax models without VCs (and there are plenty out there)?I was just thinking that if Jan already has the Gmax (outside) model of the plane, why it couldn't be included on the present shipping CD. Don't get me wrong: I have plenty of patience, particularly as I'm not even sure this is plane I'd fly much (or all -- but as my dad was a Douglas vice-president I'd be kind of remiss if I didn't have this one in my stable).>restriction, we hope to not only get the Gmax R4D out in a >reasonable amount of time, but also make it available to Win >98 and ME users. The very idea that we are sand-bagging on >this is silly. We want this thing released more than >anyone. :-)I'm sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of that: not at all, I understand it takes a lot of time to do this stuff. I was just expressing a view that if getting cashflow was important to MAAM perhaps this approach would help. Then again, perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way (and thus it wouldn't help any to put the new model on the CD). >BTW, never tell the panel and gauge designer that you don't >want to look at his work. ;-) Yeah, I feel sorry about that -- I actually like to *look* at the panel and gauges, but I'm not much for flying with them (that's probably why I like flying the ultralight -- just pure flight). But you must know that there are many who die for good gauges, so don't pay any attention to one guy.>Oh, and I don't care what you call it, as long as you give >your money to MAAM! :-) :-) I just hate the term "donation" when it's not: donation is a voluntary thing, and not in return for services or products rendered.Would I "donate" to MAAM? Nope, but I'll sure pay $25 for your DC-3 (when the Gmax is available). No offence meant at all, but there are a lot more worthwhile charities out there who need my donations.