Sign in to follow this  
Guest kdfw

ED3D & IR track for FS2002

Guest kdfw

Read many positive reviews about the ED3D glasses + the IRtrack (hands free POV controller) so I decided to get them to upgrade my FS experience. Well, after messing around w/ them for about a month, my verdict is that they are both excellent.The 3D effect is awsome (even on the 767PIC 2D panel) and takeoffs and landings are really fun. Going back to the stock MS planes w/ the VC panels, 3D effect is simply amazing. The visual quality improves quite a bit, and the way the glare shield and MCP sticks out over the instrument panel is really neat. Then you have the outside scenery over the shield...Couple this to the IRtrack POV controller, the immersion factor is awsome. Move your head and the 3D VC follows.I am now flying w/ this setup now (and re-discovered the stock VC aircraft). Some thoughts about the 3D glasses:o frame rate penalty usually minimal (1-4fps).o best with monitor at >120Hz refresh (100Hz okay), had to lower the FS resolution from 1280x960 to 1152x864 to run @ 120Hz refresh.o have problem w/ IL2 (locks up when map is brought up).o tried Quake and Wolfenstein, really nice 3D effects.o got the wireless (IR) version, works very well. hope the battery life is not too short.o obtained best 3D effect when stereo separation is 80-90% (but needed to adjust convergence to focus on close objects without crossing my eyes).o will need to use later Nvidia drivers (>22.90, using 23.11)o with the newest Beta 3D driver from NVidia (2980), strobe and runway lights correctly display in 3D (old driver couldn't display lights properly on 3D surface)Some thoughts about the IR POV controller:o FS2002 function allows handfree VC panning, works great.o Needed to adjust sensitivities to keep the view from jerking around, works great after adjustment.o can't map right-mouse button + mouse movement to the POV controller to use on Janes FA-18 (one of the best VCs), maybe there's a way to do this...All in all, I am very happy with these gadgets.Patplatform: 1.2G AMD, 320M RAM, GF2ultra, WinME, CHUSByoke, 21"SonyG500AGP1X (prevents FS from ever locking up)

>obtained best 3D effect when stereo separation is 80-90% >(but needed to adjust convergence to focus on close objects >without crossing my eyes). Doesn't the ghousting drive you nuts at 80% ?I set mine at 5% and then set convergence to see the gauges clearly in the vc, I don't use 2d panels.Even at 5% the runway center line is somewhat doubled.Just wondering what settings you may have that allow such a high setting. I admit the higher the setting the better. Rex

Guest kdfw

Ghosting isn't that bad on my setup. Adjusting F3/4 along w/ F5/6 allowed me to hit a spot where ghosting is minimal.As for the runway center line (runway lights and A/C lights), yes, it was bad, but the new beta drivers seems to have fixed the problem. Well, maybe not 100% but looked much better at night.The new drivers are at guru3d.com.Pat

Guest emergency_pants

Thanks...I've been looking at these glasses for a fgew days and considering purchasing a pair. It sounds like you've found them very worthwhile and great value.I think I'll buy them when I have some spare cash. (in a bout 6 months then!! ;))Thanks for the info!!Simon.

Indeed, the 3D and the head tracker make an excellent combination. I don't have any complaints with the head tracker whatsoever, but with the 3D glasses ghosting and darkening are my main annoyances. Unfortunately, I discovered that 3D glasses are not compatible with LCD monitors (at least the present ones) because their refresh rates don't go very high. The good news is that I heard the newer models will have refresh rates that go up to the required 120hz area. To bad I didn't figure this out sooner :(.

Pat,I always find it interesting to read about others and their response to the ED3D glasses. I purchased them about a year ago (bought them with two sets of wireless glasses), but to date I have never been able to get them to work whatsoever (with exception to viewing the 3D still photos at eDimension's website). My responses from ED with my requests for assistance have been somewhere between poor and non-exsistant. There was no manual concerning setting them up of any kind, other than a 4 page installation booklet, so any kind of assistance from them would have been appreciated, but to date nothing. To be totally fair, I haven't messed around with them for many months now, after I spent an entire weekend attempting to get them to function with my system, which ended in my having wasted over 20 hours to no avail! The cost to me for the glasses was $149.00 So, my opinion of these glasses is not very good and I just don't understand how they work or if they add anything to the experience of flight simming, as they certainly did not for me!Bear

Guest jaapverduijn

Greatings Bear!It may be a matter of the correct drivers. Do you have Nvidia? In order to figure out whether 3Dstereo works correctly with your rig, switch the card settings (stereo properties) from "page flip" to "anaglyph". Then get yourself a pair of those cardboard red/blue (red/cyan) glasses (or improvise with red and blue/cyan cellophane)and you should see stereo. If that works, you know it's your ED-glasses that fail. If it doesn't work, there might be something amiss with your drivers or your rig. Be, stay, live and rig well!Jaap Verduijn.

Interested in one of your settings there Pat.You state that you are using 23.11 Nvidia drivers, do you know what Nvidia Stereo drivers you are using?I ask because I have been playing around with the cheap version of stereo (red/cyan glasses) and I get an error msg when I try to install the stereo drivers with the standard 23.11 drivers. To enable stereo I have had to go up to 28.32 or 29.42 standard drivers and I *think* they are hurting smoothness on my GFTi200 card.The 2 stereo drivers I found on the Nvidia web site were named 'Win98_ME_Stereo(12.40).exe' and 'StereoE.exe'Also do you get the stereo effect at add-on airports?The buildings at add-on airports I have do not have the stereo effect.Cheers

Guest kdfw

Hi,I used Nv23.11 w/ Nvstereo23.11 for WinME, but now I'm using Nv28.32 w/ Nvstereo29.80. Still investigating if the new stereo driver is better at rendering runway lights in 3d...I haven't yet experienced errors w/ the ED goggle, except when using very old Nv drivers (<22.90).As for airports, some objects (like control tower) are not presented correctly if the stereo separation is large. Don't have add-on airports installed.Pat

Guest kdfw

Sorry to hear that. I'd also suggest using the 3d test program in the display property box. If it works there, it should work for FS02. And yes, I'm running it on GF2Ultra using Nvidia drivers so it could be a driver problem?In my opinion, it adds a lot to the flight sim experience. flying in VC mode w/ the handsfree POV tracker is really neat. Pat

Jaap,Back a few months ago, when I was attempting to set the ED3D glasses up, I tried just about everything and I did get some assistance from others here in this forum at that time, but nothing seem to work. The 3D effect worked, like I stated above, when I viewed some of the still 3D photographs (demo) at eDimension's website, but I could never get the effect to work in any of my sims (CFS2, FS2000, and FS2002). I have two completely independent systems for running my flight sims (a custom built system with a AMD 1.2Ghz, 512mb ram, and GeForce2 and a Compaq AMD 1.3Ghz, 256mb ram, GeForce2 MMX) and I could not get the ED3D glasses to work on either system!I also heard that the individual (AVSIM Online) that was testing them for reviewing purposes also had and continues to have similar problems that I had. My only real compliant is that I kept trying to get them to work for too long a period and when I finally had had enough, it was too late to return them (30 days of purchase), so I am stuck with a $150 pair of 3D glasses that are all but useless. I know that there are some that claim they work great, but frankly I don't believe them and I believe those individuals just claim they work to cover their own foolishness for having spent that kind of money for something that is nothing more than a gimmick. Back in the 1950s, I spent $.49 for a pair of X-Ray glasses by mail-order from one of the comic books I was reading, they didn't work either!Bear!

Guest kdfw

It's obvious that I'm claiming the 3D glasses work great. Thus, I must be covering my own foolishness.Sincerely,Exposed

Guest jaapverduijn

I've run out of solutions, Bear...Do your glasses work when you run the little Nvidia test, you know the one with the revolving logo popping in and out of the screen? As for me, when it comes to computers and related equipment I'm too stupid for words (sad grin...), but my eDimensional glasses worked from the beginning. I simply plugged them in, switched 3D settings from anaglyph (which I had been using for some weeks) to page-flip, and it worked!Never bothered with the eD CD-rom though, for two reasons: firstly it probably contains outdated drivers, and secondly it... refuses to run in my drive! In a way that's a pity because it's got some demos and I guess a couple of utilities, but what the heck: I am so happy that I as a digital nitwit have the glasses going with no problem at all, that I'm definitely not going to fix something that ain't broke!But as for you situation... I guess I simply dunno anymore!