Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

"Omega" drivers for NVidia based boards

Sorry if this is somewhat off topic, but I have come across an interesting set of alternative drivers for NVidia based video cards. They are available at http://www.omegacorner.com/ and are seemingly based on the 29.42 version of the NVidia drivers. I have tried them with FS2002 pro and my new GeForce4 card and they seem to work well (at least for me). See the Omega Drivers page at my site for more.

Guest PaulL01

I think its great to have many of the settings right at your finger tips right in the driver itself and it would be great if Nvidia took a hint and enabled a few or more quality settings for the user, namely LOD and aniso and for that you have to credit "Drive" for trying though. :) Sorry but I would never recommend these settings for any D3D game especially to anyone who wants "real" good image quality in FS2k2 as these drivers seem to be set at way too much LOD and introduce some very serious texture aliasing. :(Best to go back to just a tick less than 0 LOD (-0.3) and throw in the aniso to get rid of the aliasing, to each his own huh Rick? :)I think I prefer to stay in control and will pass, thanks.Later,

Loaded in and tried the omega driver. Don't play any first person games, just FS2K2. The omega driver made the ground 'swim' although textures were a little sharper. Couldn't stand the ground and buildings 'swimming'. Went back to the 29.80's which are working pretty well for me.S SmithP4 1.8768 DDR ramGeforce4 TI4200

There is significant swimming at lower altitudes. However, if you fly long distances at high altitudes it may be worth the tradeoff. Again, to each his own.

Guest SoarPics

I WILL TWEAK NO MORE... I WILL TWEAK NO MORE...Omega Drivers? For Nvidia? Guess I'd better check this out.So I went to the site Rich recommended and studied what was offered. I had the same reservations as Paul, but figured I'd give them a try... afterall they're Omega drivers.So here's my take, copied from Paul's post above:Which is exactly where I GTU'ed myself back to after a couple hours of the tweak/fly routine (LOD -0.6, aniso 32 tap).These Omega drivers may enhance other popular games, but they simply do not work for me in FS2K2. Can't say I'm surprised, or disappointed. My trusty 21.85's are back home and working just fine.Rich is absolutely correct about the enhanced image quality at higher altitudes. It's up to each user to decide if the low altitude texture shimmering is worth the trade off.I WILL TWEAK NO MORE... I WILL TWEAK NO MORE...Yeah, right :-lol