Sign in to follow this  
Guest iQue

The bumpy auto landings....

Guest iQue

Hi all!I just wonder about the bumby autolandings. I thougt this would be fixed when this new update came but when I did a testflight today whith a 737-800 I noticed that it's even worse than before, about five to seven bumps before it came to rest on the runway. I have tried different flapsettings, diffrent speedsettings (vref+5 and so on) and I can se the flare. This is the only problem I have with this bird. Before the release of the 800/900, v1.3 of the 600/700 the autolanding where perfect. But since I installed the 800/900 autolandings has been bumpy for all the models. I hope somebody can help me and others whith this problem, it's truly take away the fun in landing this bird. (With autopilot :( )Otherwise, thanks for a great product! :)Please help :-zhelp

Guest gsisteve

get the council to remove the sleeping policemen from the runwaySTEVE

Hi Frank,Had a thought, I always get bumby landings when I come off the power to late (to close to the flare). Are your reducing power to idle? If so when?

Guest Daniel Pimentel

What I do with this plane (which I've seen done here in SJU), is I take her down the ILS at a relatively stable thrust... Then, when you get around 100ft from the ground, throttle up around 30-40% until the rate is reduced more or less to where you want it. Once that's done, idle it. It'll do wonders, the additional thrust will eat a tiny bit of runway, but it's worth the smooth landing (if you're not on short field operations).Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Guest GeoffC

I'm sligthtly confused here. Firstly my autolands seem to work fine including after the updates yesterday. My confusion is down to the talk of throttles. If I'm doing a fully coupled autoland I never touch the throttles as the Autothrottle does all this for me. I just configure the flaps, autobrakes and set the speed (VREF +5) on the MCP and let the plane do the rest. As the wheels touch down the Autothrottle automatically disengages. Following this strategy seems to provide me with a perfect landing everytime.I'd be interested to know if my procedure is wrong in some way, although even if it is I will need some convincing to change it :-)

Guest Valid_Andy

Same here George. Are you landing with full fuel? I don't know how the autoland is programed, but it might just change the attitude of the aircraft?? And so if it's heavier it might take longer for the aircrafts descent rate to reduce (I don't know much physics, so i'm probably talking b@lls here). Anyway, the moral of the story is are you landing with a reasonable amount of fuel? ...and whats wrong with manual landings:D Much more fun...:(

Guest iQue

Hi and thanks for all helpMy landing rutines are exact like Geoffs..but it still bumps :-hmmmI also have tried different amount of fuel and payload.When I get home I will try the throttle tip and see if that helps.And yes, I know it's more fun whith manual landings :D but I want autolandings work too :9:-waveKind regardsFrank

When will this be fixed?Manual landings are nice, but hey, if the real aircraft can do autolandings without bumping, shouldn't we be able to do it in the sim?CheersMartin

Guest iQue

>When will this be fixed?>>Manual landings are nice, but hey, if the real aircraft can do>autolandings without bumping, shouldn't we be able to do it in>the sim?Yes I think so too. Specially when it worked perfect before the 800/900 upgrade. (At least for me)Would be nice if PMDG team could tell something about this. Yes I know this has been up before but I never seen any explaination what's causing this from the PMDG. Only that it perform autolandings as close to the real thing and you have to watch it, but I can hardly belive that it bumps like this in real life. (-:So, maybe someone from PMDG?ThanksFrank

Guest Lenny Zaman

Daniel,you may have a good result but this is a technique which should be used to often.It's better to have a firm landing, than a soft landing.The bumps...must be a wrong landing speed as normally if you fly the approach Vref+5, and idle the throttles at about 30ft AGL, you'll have an airplane wanting to stay down in stead of an airplane wanting to fly. add a good pair of speedbrakes to this and you're set... not more bouncing... autolands may be automatic, it's still the pilot's job to continuously monitor the computer's actions and correct if necessary(that's why a CAT3 autoland can be so intense(i say CAN))Personally i'd never give extra thrust on finals, since you're a good bit above the stalling speed(times 1.3 correct??) you have room to do a better job on the flare. the autoland's flare is basically 'crap' but it'll give you a presentable touchdown rate IF you are on the right speed. Speed is everything on approach... remember that.Coming in too fast will make you bounce because there is enough 'energy' to get the plane up again, at the right speed, this is not so.

I'm certainly glad people like you and not Martin are training for real world opertaions Lenny ;-). Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Glad not to have to fly with you in a pit Randy ;) Good that you are far far away. :)

Guest Lenny Zaman

just did a test flight... works perfectly for me...

Guest Lenny Zaman

Martin, i'm trying to understand your problem here...i'm not sure why you're getting the bumps so would you be so kind to provide full data of your final approach stage? i.e. weights, configuration selected(my test was FLAP30 ... seamlessly), speeds used, weather?, perhaps you can shed info on your body attitude on short final(before the flare command engages(so when it's armed => white))the more info you give, the better pmdg can try and answer your problem.Asking for 'fixing' the problem is a bit out of place here Martin, we should first discover the why ... but i'm pretty certain it's not a mistake in the programming...Best regards,

Martin does not care about this aircraft, all he cares about is trying to make it look bad and the Ariane good but as we know that will take a miracle not silly posts in a forum!Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |