Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

Golden Eagle C421C FlightCom1

Wow, that must be some flight to go from Chihuahua to Los Mochis. I grew up a few hours from Chihuahua city, and have heard about how incredible the train ride between those cities is. I've never made that trip myself, unfortunately, but I hope to be able to do it within the next year or two.As for the plane, I find that it gnaws at my framerates even though I have a pretty good setup (AMD 1900+, 512 MB DDR RAM, GeForce 2 Ti) -- although I do keep most of my sliders maxed. Others say that it doesn't affect their frame rates, but I imagine that they are using lower display settings than I do.jkvato1.jpg

The DXT option in the service release only changes the exterior textures to DXT. If you don't have the ponies to run the interior 32bit textures or just want to eek out all the framerate performance you can, download and place these textures in the 421's texture folder to make the entire plane textured in DXT format.After installing these into the 421's texture folder, all subsequent Text-O-Matic liveries created will be 100% DXT if you choose that option from the Text-O-Matic menu.http://www.the-hangar.net/dxt3.zipBest,

Thank you Roger Dial!!!!!! For the DXT textures that is. Frame rates went up and the trade-off is definately worth it! I'm enjoying the 421 even more....though I din't think it was possible!!!:-beerchug

Roger,You guys have done a great job of meeting the requests (But you know another one is coming, right?).I have never had a problem with framerates from the exterior view. You first solved that by adding the DXT exterior patch. You then added the next patch that took care of those of us who were having severe frame rate problems with the interior views (Thanks!).Now. Is there any chance of having an option that will allow 16 bit interior views AND 32 bit exterior views? Man, then you would have all of the bases covered!Just a thought ;-)Thanks for a great aircraft.Wilson

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Lowellwiley,It is definitely a good purchase you can't be wrong with. I'm already waiting for their next release, the Piper Meridian, before buying any other payware aircraft. Sure, the next Dreamfleet will include a low end Garmin GPS, but the Meridian is Meggit Avionics equipped! wow!Can't wait to pay you a visit at Oshkosh Flight1 !!

Guest Moghdad

I bought the C421 when it came out and have never liked it. The plane is pretty and the flight model seems fine, but the panel is an ergonomic disaster. The gauges are illegible. You can maximize some of the more important ones, but then they overlay other, equally important gauges. The landing view is useless since it defaults back to the full panel as soon as you toggle the thumbswitch for a quick side view--which usually happens on short final when your hands are too full to reselect the landing view. And if you try to switch from landing view to 3D, your VC and plane disappears and you are hurtling through the air like Superman. The panel is the most un-clickfriendly I've ever seen. Don't expect to make quick changes in instrument settings. You will first have to engage in a protracted pixel hunt to find exactly the right spot to click. Basic avionics like an ADF are missing. The DME is illegible unless you maximize the GPS screen, which then obscures a third of the panel. There is an annoying problem with the propeller visuals. Each time you glance at them, you will see an opaque disc for several seconds before the correct textures fill in. Etc.I'm glad other are enjoying it anyway. I've actually gone back to the Baron (Steve Small's model). The visuals aren't as pretty, but it's a better-designed product in my opinion.

What size of monitor, & did you change the pixels to 1024,1024 by any chance? This makes all gauges as clear as the best of them. Since there are more instruments than a panel such as an Archer, we see smaller renditions in this panel. But at the same time, the panel has much more the effect of actually sitting in the cockpit. More like FLY in a way, as to panel instrument sizing. As I mentioned previously---------- on a 22" monitor, this panel is super both in 2D & 3D Virtual. And the next question is---------- what's your CPU, as I never have the opaque disk problem. The only time I see this is when switching aircraft models & the props begin turning. It happens with many different models & last's less than a second. IMO------ I never touch the Baron anymore after flying this one. At the present, it's still my favorite with both the Archer & Cheyenne tying for second!I'm only writing this, because what your seeing certainly won't apply to everyone, regardless of your opinion of the plane itself.L.Adamson

Guest Moghdad

Thanks, I'll try them.

Guest Moghdad

I haven't made any changes to my screen resolution. I'm running a P4 1.8G. My monitor is smaller than yours, but I have no trouble reading gauges on most other payware planes. I'm actually taking flight lessons right now and I can't say that I've had any trouble reading the gauges in a real cockpit, either. If I did, I could always crane my neck forward for a sec, which doesn't work so well in a flight sim.Anyway, I don't want to bash the plane unfairly. Understood that others are enjoying it.

Do this, and you might be happier! I just copied this from a reply I recently did at flightsim.com. The original gauges CAN look fuzzy, & it was an original complaint that I had. This is the fix.Need to make some entry changes in the panel cfg. file which is in the panel file of the C421. Change the "pixal size" for the first 3 entries of the Vcockpit. This is a sample of #1. And remember to save...C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002aircraftF1_Cessna_421PanelBackground_color=0,0,0 size_mm=1024,1024visible=0window_size= 1.000, 1.000pixel_size=1024,1024texture=$VCockpit_1window_pos= 0.000, 0.000