Sign in to follow this  
Guest tcable

braking distance

Guest tcable

I've ben flying the 737's vor a while, and now that I've added teh 738/9 to the hangar, I'm curious about braking distance.Th reference runway is KBOS27. Most aircraft if not all (IRL), turn off on Taxiway E. With autobrakes 2, full avaialble reverse and spoilers, I turn off at W, violating LAHSO (Land And Hold Short...)Seening a loaded BA 744 (For EGLL) use this runway and takoff in less than 6000 feet is amazing. Especailly considering that the A33/340's are using 4R (10k feet) at the same time. Departures were on 9 & the 4's that day.Landing on 4R it appears common to land and turn off on Y. Minimal brakes and reverse there.Any ideas other than cranking the autobrakes to max auto?Tim

Guest SBDenali

I have a similar problem, it seems that autobrakes 3 and MAX seem to work great, but 1 and 2 dont' seem to do anything (might be the way it works.. I can only dream I fly the thing =P)Maybe this is related to this problem, does anyone else have what feels like excessive usage of runway before you hit Vr? I fly out SNA all the time, and they fly to ORD non-stop all the time, but with that much fuel, I'm barely making it by the end of the runway (this is with standing on the brakes until full thrust). I see the real guys using 3/4 MAX of this runway ot lift off.. and the 900 is even worse.I may just be off my rocker.. please tell me if I am.. but these are my observations.

Guest Erups

Mhh... have you checked your weight is UNDER the Maximum Landing weight?This could cause such problems...I can't ever get to know how much load Ryanair takes off with here, but i doubt with MTOW as i do.If i lower the payload, i am able to takeoff in a fair amount of the runway...Cranking up the payload leads to very long runway needs... both for breaking and for takeing off.Anyway i am able to takeoff with a 900 fully loaded, from a 2207m runway (should be around 6600feet) with still a couple meters to spare ;)