Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

Electrical switch click

Guest bobsk8

I posted this on another thread a few days ago, but I think it got buried. Has anyone else had a problem with electrical switches making the clicking sound after installing the 800-900 update? I had the click return once and then it disappeared again and hasn't returned since. All the lighting switches seem to be affected except Landing lights. I am just wondering if I am overlooking something or if something is wrong in my system.

Hello Bob, Well it's a fact that they do indeed work correctly so if I may suggest if you have all the PMDG files handy to try a re-install? I would use the REMOVER TOOL here - http://www.precisionmanuals.com/downloads/inc_downloading.asp?iFile=209 and proceed to re-install in order. Let us know..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest bobsk8

>> Hello Bob,>> Well it's a fact that they do indeed work correctly so if I>may suggest if you have all the PMDG files handy to try a>re-install? I would use the REMOVER TOOL here -> http://www.precisionmanuals.com/downloads/inc_downloading.asp?iFile=209>> and proceed to re-install in order. Let us know..>>>Best Wishes,>[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]>[h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]>Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play>one on TV ;-)>>AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA>@535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows>Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |Just got back from a business trip ands first thing I did was download the removal tool and removed PMDG entirely. I even checked to make sure components were not there after removal. I reinstalled the 737-600 from the orginal disc, installed the 800 from the files I saved to a CD-rom and installed the update, after downloading the update again to make sure it wasn't corrupted in some way. Same exact problemThe switches that are silent are:LOGOPositionStrobeAnticollisionWingCab/UtilIFE/PassGround PowerThey all worked prior to update.

Guest bobsk8

Since I troubleshoot complex systems for a living, I decided to get to the bottom of this or at least narrow it down. I uninstalled everything again. Loaded up the 600 model from CD rom...switches all work. Then I loaded up the 800-900 from my CD-Rom...Switches still all work. Then I loaded update. Switches are silent again. My conclusion is the update has a definite bug.In addition to the switches I listed above, I realized that some more switches that I thought were supposed to be silent also work without the update. When installing the update the APU, Gen1, Gen 2, APU Gen all become silent as well

Well you could be half right Bob, I have the sim running as I am typing and those switches each make a clicking noise. Now, can you tell me a specific model that you are trying this on? Winglet version? Cabin or virtual cockpit model? There certainly can be a cfg issue with one as it has come about here a couple of times..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest bobsk8

> Well you could be half right Bob, I have the sim running as>I am typing and those switches each make a clicking noise.>> Now, can you tell me a specific model that you are>trying this on? Winglet version? Cabin or virtual cockpit>model? There certainly can be a cfg issue with one as>it has come about here a couple of times..>>>Best Wishes,>[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]>[h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]>Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play>one on TV ;-)>>AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA>@535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows>Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |The switches are silent in every aircraft type and configuration.

Guest BBrooks

I have the same problem.Brad Brooks

Guest bobsk8

>I have the same problem.>>Brad BrooksBrad, I was wondering if you made any headway on getting these switches to "click again". It seems strange that there are only 2 of us with this problem .

Well, it's not just the two of you who have a problem but, in my case, the switches DO click but noticeably more quietly than the others. Not sure why, and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. :-) Just thought I'd let you know what's happening here.Paul Croft10 miles SE of EGLL

Guest 160732

My switches do not click, but if they do what they have to I can live with it. I hadn't noticed it before reading this, but now I know I miss it a little, and I will look here for an eventuel explanation.regards Ole

Guest bobsk8

It would seem that the program would call for the same switch sound for every activation of the Overhead Panel switches. Apparently the electrical switches are using a different audio sound than the other switches on the panel, and that sound is either not there after the update or it is never being called on by the program .

Guest BBrooks

Hi Bob,To answer your question, I have not made any progress in finding the cause of this. I agree with you that it seems the switches are calling up some other file or no file at all. I looked in the panel config to see if anything was out of whack, and it all appears normal. I am not a gauge programmer, so I don't know how to fix it. Like Zen said, maybe I'll just have to live with it. Just out of curiosity, what sound card are you using?Brad Brooks

Guest bobsk8

SB Live is my sound card, on my new Dell Desk Top.

Guest BBrooks

Hey Bob,I have the SB Live card with the latest updated drivers. Just for kicks today I went to get the Audigy LS card. I just installed it, and guess what?? The swithces click again! I would say it is another thing to add to the list of the problems I have had with the SB Live. I also had it on my Dell, which is a couple years old now. I have had a few problems with the card before, but this is now proof that it has some deficiencies. I recommend picking it up; it's relatively inexpensive, around $50.00. I think it will help the problem. Brooks

Guest bobsk8

I am not convinced that this is a sound card issue in my case. The click is there until I use the 800 update and then it instantly goes away. I checked all the click sounds for PMDG in the Sound folder and they all work properly when selected. This leads me to believe that the program is not calling for the click sounds when you move an electrical switch only after the update. If it was a sound card issue, I don't think the switches would ever work, update or not. It's like the intermittanly disappearing Elevator Trim sound unless I reselect the aircraft after FS9 startup and the Intermittant Spoiler problem. Seems to be some faulty code in the program.