Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken623

Engine Startup Problem

Guest Ken623

I'm having problems getting the right engine started. I've loaded the PMDG "Cold and Dark" flight, and am using Fred Clausen's tutorial to try to learn this aircraft. I'm able to start the left (#2?) engine, but when I turn the knob to GND on the right (#1?) engine, I get no response. No N1 spool-up at all. I saw in the forum where some use Ctrl-Shift-F4 to get fuel flowing, but I think my problem is before that stage. With all due respect to Fred, might I be missing a step? I see there is an "engine start" toggle switch the two knobs with the GND settings. On "Cold and Dark" startup, this switch is toggled to the IGN L position. Should it instead be in the middle, or "both" setting?Also -- am assuming the PMDG setup accurately portrays "cold and dark". Does anyone have a screenshot or jpg showing the correct settings on the Overhead once the engines are running? Would be a nice way to double-check.Need a little help, please... I'm eager to move to the next dimension that PMDG offers.Thanks,Ken Smith

Did you turn on the bleed air on the left engine and open the crossvalve? Bye, Luca

Guest hlm65

Hi Ken,I've not the 737NG on the screen now, but for what I can remember, in the overhead panel you should have:-windows heat on-pitot heat on-yaw damper on-anti-ice as required-galley and IFE power on-no smoking and seat belts on (or as required)-fuel pumps: all on (except if you have ctr tank empty)-generator switches: all on the engines/off the APU-APU master switch: off-bleed air: on from the engines/off from the apu/packs in auto-cruise altitude and landing elevation set on pressurisation panel-ignition: off (will be on for takeoff)-ign selector: both or as required-lights: as required. I use: strobe/anticollision/logo/wings/taxi ON as soon as I initiate the engine starting process, landing lights ON before takeoffThat's what I remember, should be fairly complete.As per your problem in starting your second engine, have you checked bleed air supply ON from available source (APU/other engine) and related pack OFF ? Have you checked your fuel cutoff switch (centre pedestal, below the throttles) is ON (that is: up position)?Hope this could help you.Edited for typo errors...

Guest Zapper

Hi Enrico,Tjhere is a full description of start procedure in my Geezer Guide. Please grab it at http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~speedy/ and run through it. I am sure it wills olve all your problems here. It is a specific flight but teh procedures are standard for all flights.Rgds,

Guest Ken623

Thanks for the replies, still plugging away at it.... right engine still stubborn.Ken Smith

Guest Ken623

Aha! Got 'em both going like champs -- this time I tried using Tim Metzinger's tutorial and they fired right up. I don't know what steps may differ, but success is success. Thanks again to all who posted & to both Tim & Fred Clausen for their tutorials. On now to the FMC...

Guest hlm65

Hi Brad,many thanks for your geezer guide, but fortunately I don't have any problem in the start-up sequence, I was just answering to the other post.Thanks anyway.

Guest Ken623

Brad,Sorry for the oversight, definitely meant to include thanks for your guide as well.