Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Confirming autoland and manual landing procedures....

I am still looking at all the manual docs and making sure I understand operation of the MCP as well as basic manual flight procedures. I think I understand, but would appreciate confirmation that the following is correct procedure:1. For autoland, tune Nav 1 and Nav 2 to rwy ILS freq before trying to intercept the LOC. Then, arm LOC on MCP and when LOC intercept achieved and turns green, hit APP to prepare for GS intercept and descent to destination rwy. Follow progress visually on the PFD and ND down to rwy and don't touch anything at all until touchdown occurs. Directly after t/d, I need to manage the rollout manually as this Boeing type doesn't do so. 2. For manual landing, I can proceed as per 1. above, but disengage AP and A/T at no lower than 500' AGL and take manual control. At 50' AGL, I start powering down thrust to be at idle by about 30' AGL, and at 25' to 30' AGL, I pull the nose up by about 3 deg and fly the plane onto the TDZ.Have I got it? Thanks.Jonathan

Arm the Speedbrakes, tune the NAVS to the ILS Feq. Set the MCP course window to final app course. If you are coming straight in you can simply push APP, no need to push LOC as APP arms both G/S and LOC. Set MSS APP alitutde on the MCP altitude window. If you are coming in at an intercept angle, arm LOC to capture localizer, this will assure you do not capture G/S prior to LOC then you can arm APP. EDIT: After APP engages make sure ot ARM the second A/P prior to 800 RA or it will be locked out and you will remain in SINGLE CHANNEL mode which states you MUST manually land the aircraft (here it will AL anyway but that is another story). A/T will disengage @ 2 seconds upon main gear TD. This Boeing does not have center line steering so you must disconnect the A/P upon TD. Here is me a few moments ago @ 24R LAX Dual ALhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/86680.jpgBest Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Thanks for the review, validation, and additional tips, Randy. Very helpful. I'm almost there. Tomorrow, I fly the ILS and test, yo!I'll doubtless post after I've sorted through this stuff as I also have questions on non-FMC climbout and engine management, arghh!Thanks again.Cheers!Jonathan

Do you know mr Brad Marsh, the RL 737 pilot is holding a chat today? He can answer all your questions ;-)Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Ah, that is interesting. Thanks for the tip. How do I log onto that?Jonathan

Guest Zapper

Hi Jonathan,Sorry you missed the chat. You have it pretty much nailed for Auroland.. excpet IRL you can arm APP mode as soon as you are on an intercept HDG to LOC as in the NG (unlike teh classic) it will not capture the GS until it has got the LOC. I recommend full use of Autothrottle throughout this procedure, at 27' RA the FMA will show RETARD and thrust levers will close smoothly.Manual Landings .. as with Autoland your speed control must be within a knot or two.In an 800 at Flap 40 (this is standard) you willneed around 63% to maintain a 3 degree Glidepath to the TDZ but leave the power on until you hear the 30' callout or see it on the Radio Altimeter.LMK if you need more help,Rgds,

Brad:Thanks for your post with further info. I didn't get to fly last nite--I fell asleep at the TV!--but perhaps tonite I'll finally get to do an autoland and a manual ILS-track to t/d. I'll post results.Cheers!Jonathan

Guest bobsk8

I have read most of the tutorials multiple times but I can't remember reading an explanation of why the markers around the PFD flash yellow occasionally when flying the ILS. I would imagine it is to draw you attention to something, but I can't figure out what . Any help would be appreaciated.

Hello Bob, I believe you are talking about a auto-landing, this is a confidence check, which engages the second A/P @ 1500 RA (passing thru) for a Dual A/L... http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/86890.jpg Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Randy:You are FAST and very INFORMED. Does NOTHING escape your hawk eyes?! Jonathan

Randy:Which document is that excerpt from? I've downloaded 15 or 16 PMDG manuals and one of the tutorials (the second advanced dtutorial is no longer available on AVSIM, it seems) and I cannot find the text you cut and pasted.Appreciate a reference doc, thanks again!Jonathan

Guest Zapper

Just as a small addition:The LOC/GS scales will do a deviation alerter check whenever you pass 1500 RA with a valid ILS signal.Randy:I have to ask.. do you have Vol2 as a .pdf or .doc or do you scan the individual pages as you require them .. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner as there are many things I would like to be able to post just as you do.All the Best,

Hey Jonathan, I have a large collection of real world manuals for a number of aircraft but more so for the Boeing 737s and NGs. Brad, Yes this is Virgin Blue PDF ;-). What I do is open them in Paintshop Pro and hit PRINTSCREEN crop, reduce, and save aa a reduced (under 125K @ 800x600 mostly)JPEG. Works great and would work nice in your greezer guide.Brad meet me on MSN I'll send it your way..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest Zapper

Edited to get rid of test posts.

Guest Zapper

Edited to remove test image post.