Sign in to follow this  
Guest Howard

Whats the best Windows version for FS2002?

I'm just wondering what version of windows works best with FS2002 for things concerning performance, FS texture refresh rate etc...What are Windows 2000 and ME like?CheersWill

'Tis a question where you'll get many answers... I'd say the three proven choices are 98SE, 2000 and XP. Although some have had success with ME, many have had issues. I have 98SE, but my belief is that XP will be the best, as it exploits more onboard memory (it's not restricted to 512MB as is 98SE), and simply being the newer O/S more development time is being spent around it. And I'd guess that FS2004 will drop support for 98SE and perhaps even Win 2000, just as support for Win 95 was dropped when 2K2 was released.-John

Guest PaulL01

>I'm just wondering what version of windows works best with >FS2002 for things concerning performance, FS texture refresh >rate etc... >>What are Windows 2000 and ME like? >>Cheers >>>WillI like John's response to this and will just add this to it:Strictly answering your question as it stands right now I would put it in this order: XP tied with and pulling away from win98SE with win2k in third, I wouldn

>If you throw in the need for compatibility with all of the >FS2k2 design utilities newer as well as older" than you >should keep win98SE around as some wont work in win2k/XP, >other than that XP would be the way to go. Paul,I've heard this before and would be curious to know what utilities won't run under XP (I dimly remember something about a landclass utility not working, but can't dredge it up in my mind right now). Not that I'm doubting this, but I'd like to see for myself.I only ask because I've been running XP Pro for a few months now and it seems to run everything I throw at it, even things that aren't supposed to run in it (and things I couldn't get running in Win2000). About the only thing I can't run on it is 3D Max R3 (and that appears to be a hardware lock issue).

Didn't mention the vcache fix for 98se, but am well aware of it... And it's a good use of RAM for RAM which would otherwise go unused...-John

Guest PaulL01

>>If you throw in the need for compatibility with all of the >>FS2k2 design utilities newer as well as older" than you >>should keep win98SE around as some wont work in win2k/XP, >>other than that XP would be the way to go. >>Paul, >>I've heard this before and would be curious to know what >utilities won't run under XP (I dimly remember something >about a landclass utility not working, but can't dredge it >up in my mind right now). Not that I'm doubting this, but >I'd like to see for myself. >>I only ask because I've been running XP Pro for a few months >now and it seems to run everything I throw at it, even >things that aren't supposed to run in it (and things I >couldn't get running in Win2000). About the only thing I >can't run on it is 3D Max R3 (and that appears to be a >hardware lock issue).You can start with TeraBuilder but I have others and pinning it down as to which exact ones behave this or that way is not on my to do list right now, sorry I can remember for you but I have at last count about forty design tools some commercial, some freeware and some I have had custom built, many/most will start and run but some of the functions just dont work under XP home or pro.

Hi Will,I dumped Win98SE for Win2K Pro. I have not had one lockup with ANY program including FS2K since installing Win2k. That includes a full stack of GoFlight, CH USB Yoke and Rudder Pedals, and a PFC digital throttle quadrant. I have zero problems with all that stuff running. Pretty happy camper with Win2k Pro. If WinXP is as stable then I would recommend it highly. If it is not, then get Win2k Pro.If Win XP is equal to Win98SE then it IS NOT worth the money. I had many many lockups with Win98 including during S/U and S/D. Poughy on Win98..... ucky. I hear windows ME is just as flakey as Win98.I recently upgraded my wifes computer to WinXP home and all the dumb lockups went away. She does not play games on hers. So my recommendation is WinXP or Win2k Pro.Have Fun!BobP:)

Guest Howard

XP stability is much better than 98/ME in my experience.