Sign in to follow this  
Allflight57

737-800/900 is it worth it?

Hi I was wondering if it is worth it to buy the 800/900 upgrade I already have the 6/700 and love it but the only thigs i'm wondering about are the frame rates, right now with the 600/700 in 2d panel at a mid sized airport like KSJC or KHOU I get decent frame rates....13-17 FPS I know its slow for most of you but ive really gotten used to it. But the main questions are.....1) Will it take up tons of frame rates? 2) How many MB is the download?3) What are the best things about the upgrade?4) Where can I get a lot of screenshots of it? Thanks, Tyler

Guest Nickman

I don't know your system specs, but usually when you purchase the 800/900, your framerates will become better do to less polygons. You must also remember the 800/900 will replace the 600/700 cockpit as well so you'll get the same cockpit in the 600/700.Read the review and see for yourselfhttp://www.avsim.com/pages/0504/pmdg_737ng...737_review.htmlNick B.Continental Airlines Virtual 737NG Pilothttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz (Equal to 2.8 ghz)400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

>Hi >> I was wondering if it is worth it to buy the 800/900>upgrade I already have the 6/700 and love it but the only>thigs i'm wondering about are the frame rates, right now with>the 600/700 in 2d panel at a mid sized airport like KSJC or>KHOU I get decent frame rates....13-17 FPS I know its slow for>most of you but ive really gotten used to it. But the main>questions are.....>>>1) Will it take up tons of frame rates? Many users have reported an increase if FPS in both 2D and VC.>>2) How many MB is the download? I believe it is about 44.9 for the 800-900 base.4.3 for the 800-900 update.28.7 for the 600-700 update. >>3) What are the best things about the upgrade? Well you get to completely new aircraft models. Completely new cockpits with new night lighting. Many FMC additions and fixes. The 600-700 virtual cockpits are now fully clickable. And much much more ;-).>>4) Where can I get a lot of screenshots of it?You can see Nick's link below or Visit the PMDG main page here http://www.precisionmanuals.com/frames/737800.htm>>> Thanks,> Tyler> You're welcome.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

I would just like to add to this threat for my installation of the 800/900 framerates improved slightly. The download is 45mb so around 30% smaller than the original 600/700.I enjoy having the flexibility of all model types. Although it was mentioned that you get the new cockpit in the 600/700 once you have added the upgrade, in reality all cockpits can be chosen to emulate what the actual airline concerned uses, or if you wish via a drop down menu within the PMDG menu in FS you can change the cockpit to suit your preferences. So this is in fact a benefit not a restriction as was suggested. In addition a optional patch is now available which upgrades the virtual cockpit in the 600/700 to be fully "clickable" like the 800/900.Hope this goes some way to helping you decide, all I know is I wouldn't be without my whole fleet now!RegardsMervyn

Mervyn Edwards

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thanks for mentioning the displays Mervyn. So I should have said, "New cockpit artwork and the option to have the Efis style displays like Southwest Airlines uses" ;-)..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Hi, Thanks for all of the replies I definatly will be buying the upgrade you all did a good job convincing me. Tyler

Guest bobsk8

You will love the Upgrade..