Sign in to follow this  
AvA757Pilot

CWS-R and Reduced N1 T/O Setting

Two questions here on separate issues:1)After making some inflight FMC route changes I had a yellow warning popup on the PFD saying CWS-R. I could not find any reference to this in the manual.2) I try to use reduced thrust takeoff settings when under MTGW but I find that the -700 has a tendency to use A LOT of runway when taking off and so I am trying to find a method to better compute what N1 setting I NEED for a given takeoff.Roger Curtiss

CWS is in the "Automatic Flight Management Systems Manual". Not sure if this is in the orginal documents for the 700 or not. CWS on the PFD is telling you that the Control Wheel Steering is now the current Roll mode. THere are many reasons this can occure but most likely in this case it happens because one touches the controls with the A/P engaged, so, just like RL the AFDS reverts to CWS. This will also happen for Pitch which will show a CWS P insted of CWS R. Both can be active at the same time. Sorry I do not understand your second question completely. The FMC will compute the N1 for you, that is what it does after you input all the needed information into the PERF INIT page. While one can manually set the thrust, this is not standard operating procedure or one manually sets it IF the thrust fails to be set by the AFDS. You set thrust to 40% N1 and push TOGA, the FMS takes care of the rest. For in depth settings one would need to have real world manuals. What version of the NG are you using? 1.3 or 800-900 edition? Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Randy:Thanks for the responses.I am using version 1.3 (no FS9 on my slow computer).My question on the thrust setting is that the charts allow you to compute a MAXIMUM N1 setting that you can achieve for takeoff but there is nothing to indicate what the MINIMUM N1 would be for a given runway under ambient conditions. Therefore, I do not know when a reduction to TO1 or TO2 would be in order.As I mentioned, I find that most of my takeoffs are eating up well over 6000' of runway or more most of the time (in varied areas and with OAT not overly high)and seeing that runway end rapidly approaching tends to make me nervous. Most of the time I am under MTOW averaging about 125,000 lbs. I am looking to maximize my takeoff performance.Roger Curtiss

25% is the maximum reduction. It is also not allowed on a contaminated rwy with standing water, slush, ice and snow. It is allowed for some airlines on a wet rwy if reduced braking is taken into account. If you are having issues with rwy lengths I would advice against it! Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |