Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

Lubricating the CH FlightSim yoke

Guest bobsk8

I hope this is OK to post on this forum. I thought it might be because probably alot of the readers use the CH Yokes. My CH LE USB Yoke is about 2 months old and it was starting to develop a "sticking" feeling to it especially in the pitch mode. I would try to pull the nose up a bit and it wouldn't move at first and then it would sort of break free and move too much. I went on the CH website and they had a few new owners of the yoke with the same exact problem. They said to use a non-petroleum based lube since a petroleum based lube might eat the plastic parts. Their recommendation sort of surprised me, because they recommend Tri-Flow. I have been using Tri-Flow for years on my RC Helicopters and Bicycles and it is petroleum based with added Teflon. I decided to go shopping this morning ( when all sane people are still sleeping on Sunday) , and found the perfect lube for the yoke. It is called Liquid Wrench Dry Lube with PTFE. I found it in Home Depot It is OK for most plastics according to the label and it appears that it gets along very well with the CH Yoke material. It is a spray can and when you spray it on , it dry's very quickly to a white powder, It is not supposed to attract dirt and dust, which is a big advantage over other types of lubes. In order to put it on properly, you really should pull the top cover off the yoke assembly. Taking out 6 screws, lets you get the cover off. Be carefull and don't pull the cover away from the base too far as there are some wires that go from the throttle to the base. Two of the screws are under the rubber feet in the rear of the yoke. The two rear little rubber grommets have to be removed and can be pushed back in after. When putting it back together , make sure the holders for the shaft are all in the right place and everything works before placing the lid back on. I sprayed all sliding surfaces with a healthy dose of Dry Lube and the yoke is better than new now.

Guest Buck Bolduc

I had the same problem. I used "Prestone Silicone Lubricant" availible at any auto parts store. It says it's safe on plastic, wood, leather, rubber, and metal. I pulled the yoke out and sprayed the shaft, pused it in and sprayed the other end wher it enters the unit. Like new it drys up but still lubes. That was 3-4 monthes ago, still like new.My front door was rubbing on the door sill, spayed the sill, smooth as silk now. Pretty good stuff!Regards