Sign in to follow this  
Guest ryebred

Unable to climb to altitude in 10 mins

Theres a lot of points here,1. The set FL in the FMC is 28,000. You're at 26.1 2. Neither MAX RATE nor MAX is set3. speed is right on the nuts as per FMC control, therfore it can only give a ROC that is what is possible. It runs the same as VNAV but with user definable rules and FMC intervention. It seems re pic there are no rules involved.. Otherwise they would show. ( but in reality they actually do, you're expected at ??? @ 1810Z but your're 2 mins late. With Ms. Mother Nature involved I would say that is quite alright ) 4. Are you fully loaded? What is your loading?5. A computer, or FMC, is only as good as the person who programs it.weight will affect all, especially when relying on FMC IE VNAV.From the PIC and what I can decsern is that you are at a pretty hefty load, close to cruize alt. and all is GOOD. ( for a FL at 28000 and tanks at over 2/3s its time to go either further, or go higher, or both ) From what I understand with the max rate, max angle is:Selecting either one will disregard any fuel entries as per FMC control.1. Max rate = the maximum alt delta per time w/ a certain N1 engine setting I.E. greatest value on the VSI per engine setting.2. Max angle = the maximum alt delta per distance regardless of time but at a certain engine N1 setting. Meaning if the FMC will let you, it will climb at the greatest angle on the EADI at stall speed as long as the engines aren't overrevved, but it doesn't necessarily mean its the greatest FPM as in #1 but... It could be the same.#2 is used quite often in the U.S. but the values are given quite differntly in the FLIPs for example: the ROCKT1.ROCKT SID from cincinatti the very last note mentions: "A min of 35 NM is req @ 260 per NM to cross WADAL @ or above 8000...... for reference in the U.S. you may use any page in the FLIPs with preceding D I.E. page D1, from ther you could see if #2 is needed or rather #1 Regards,Roman(KGRB)http://home.new.rr.com/spokes2112/images/Image2.gif

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest jacaru

We can not just say one gets you up quicker to altitude than the other. One does it quicker in time, and the other one quicker in distance. Depending on what you need or what the atc asks you, one will take you to altitude before the other.And by saying quicker alone, i would guess its quicker in time, which its achieved with best rate.Correct me if im wrong.Jaime.

Guest NBL648

Ryan......take a close look at the TAT it appears to be in the '+ ' range at your altitude. Get the latest beta from AS2004 forum and follow the Docs for settings. This will always happen if the TEMP is that HOT at that altitude....Also the weather reporting may not have 'valid' temp data. This is NOT a PMDG problem.....It's doing what it should be doing.I'm glad you also found the 'misunderstanding' with MS ATC......Best,Paul

Guest ryebred

Your right Paul, I did another flight and the TAT was +5 through 20k up to FL330 where it went down to -11. What is a more typical TAT for these altitudes? I have the latest beta build of AS2004 and all settings according to the manual but still no luck. I will go bug the AS2004 people on their forum. Thanks for the help.

Guest rcritz

Randy,Your post just goes to confirm what every pilot is taught from day one. Vx (max angle) gets you up in minimum distance. This is NOT what the ATC system is based upon. Vy (max rate) gives you maximum altitude gain per unit time which is all ATC cares about. Quicker is about elapsed time, not distance covered. The "Technique" block there is just flat out wrong. No en route controller will tell you he cares about angle. When he says "best rate", he's looking for MIMIMUM TIME to get through that altitude.Some DPs with a non-standard gradient (i.e. > 3.3%) may force you to climb closer to Vx during the initial climbout. After you've cleared your obstacles in that situation, all other climbs are done at Vy or higher speed.This isn't something that is airplane specific. The definitions of Vx and Vy are the same on all powered aircraft, both fixed and rotary wing, and are defined in 14 CFR Part 1.Finally, I don't quite know what VATSIM ATC has to do with this. Sure, my signature block shows my relationship to VATSIM but that has nothing to do with my posts. My real-world experience and certificates are much more relevant here but I don't see the point of putting them in the signature block.

Thanks Richard for clearing the difference up and your real world status, I was quoting a pilot but fully agree with your new post on this...Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |