Sign in to follow this  
Guest mkuebeler

Can't get full power with manual thrust control?

Guest mkuebeler

I prefer to hand-fly the 737's almost entirely, including manual thrust control. However, it seems like when the throttle lever on my CH Yoke is fully forward, the sim is not reading this as maximum thrust. Calibration is showing the throttle axis reading moving from 0 to 255 with no trouble. I know there is more thrust to be had because I can momentarily increase thrust by pressing F1, but it will move right back to the lower setting as soon as I let off it. This makes the tail end of the climb somewhat problematic since it gets hard to maintain any rate of climb without that extra thrust. Any help?Mark Kuebeler

Are you using the CH calibration tool or the MS default? I have had issues with the MS default, but using the CH tool cleared everything up.

Guest mkuebeler

I think it's the CH calibration tool. I get the same dialog through CH Control Manager as I do through the FS9 calibrate setting, and they both show the same raw values (0-255).Mark Kuebeler

Hi Mark,You can tell the difference easily, the MS version uses a red bar for calibration and is pretty basic. The CH is much more complex (if I remember correctly it is mostly yellow). Sound like you have the CH version if you are seeing the same thing through control manager.One more thought, do you have the latest control manager from CH? The one I recieved on the CD was not the latest and was a bit buggy. Loaded the version on the web site and bugs cleared up.Can you post a screen shot at full thrust with the throttle panel visible (be sure not to block the engine guages).Let's keep digging.

Guest zip

Just from my experience with calibration, there are several layers:1) control panel calibration (this is what windows sees) and set through the utilities that come with the joystick/input device2) FS calibration, which tends to take a mind of its own occasionally3) FSUIPC calibration, very helpful to see what's going on (requires registered copy).If you have modified or unplugged joysticks recently, be sure to yank the joystick configuration from the FS9.CFG file (make a backup before hand). This will make sure that the FS9 calibration logic doesn't interfere.The biggest source of interference is if you have two axis mapped to the same FS9 function. This can happen by default (a bad thing) and you may have to go uncheck mappings manually to make sure. Typical symptoms include spikes in the system, stepped function, and lack of range (can't turn all the way for example).I would highly recommend that you use FSUIPC's joystick page to actually see what the FS engine will see, after all the filters are applied. On my system, removing a controller and reconnecting is enough to throw the FS9 layer for a spin. The new version also has the smoothing mechanism found in the CH Product control panel, so you don't actually have to the use the buggy control panel applet.Good luck,

Guest mkuebeler

Tried the following with no joy:Deleted all JOYSTICK_MAIN and JOYSTICK_SLEW groups from FS9.cfg. There were multiple ones in there, but I think some were from a CH F16 Fighterstick and CH Pro Throttle I had been using prior to getting a CH Yoke.Installed version 3 of CH Control Manager. This resulted in reinstallation of all drivers. Calibrated devices from CM. Calibration dialog shows throttle lever raw values ranging from 0-255.Checked the Joystick page in FSUIPC, which showed the IN and OUT values were identical, ranging from -16193 to 16192.Looking at the thrust lever panel with engines off, with the throttle lever fully forward the tops of the reverse thrust levers are still visible. Pressing F1 actually moves the thrust levers forward a bit more, covering the reverse thrust handles, and I can also do this with the mouse. However, this does not seem to work in flight. I have attached a screen shot of a flight (737-900) up to FL280. I'm somewhere over FL270 at this point, 96.6% N1, but the engine display would suggest I could be getting 99.4%. Pressing F1 does not advance the thrust levers beyond what is pictured here, but does produce a momentary increase in thrust that immediately settles back to the previous level.Addendum: I just now went back into FSUPIC, and set it to process the throttle axis, setting the limits with the two "set" buttons, and this changed the OUT values to -16384 to 16384, which now appears to give full forward travel of the thrust levers. Problem solved I guess! :)Mark Kuebelerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/87557.jpg

Guest mkuebeler

Crud, should've flight tested this first before reporting "problem solved". Although I do now get full thrust lever movement with engines off, I STILL can not get to the full thrust position in flight. FSUIPC is reporting maximum position on the throttle axis (16384), nevertheless I get the picture above, with the tops of the reverse thrust levers peeking out. The mouse will move the lever forward, but it snaps right back. After landing and engine shut down the throttle axis again gives the full forward position.PMDG, y'all have any thoughts on this? I guess it can't hurt to uninstall 737NG completely and reinstall, so I will give that a try next.Mark Kuebeler