Sign in to follow this  
Guest Droflas

Auto everything???

Guest Droflas

Hi all, I'm a newbie so treat me gently.I have FS 2004 and PMDG's The Next Generation 737 NG 600 / 700I love flying on my flight sim and I set up to fly from Manchester to Alicante. (***Just Reminiscing Hmmmmm***)When I set it up, I can fly there through the navigator taking off myself and following the instructions given by the ATI, but when I get to Alicante, I struggle to land the flamin thing (Boing 737).I read about PMDG in a flightsim mag last month and it mentioned AUTOLAND.I fancied this and so bought the program, but it is a bit daunting???I have tried the introductory flight in the manual that came with the program but it says (for instance)Cockpit preparation - - Batteries on - - APU Start ETC then it says "Switch the 3 ISO valve to AUTO ??? I can't find them???I'm not a pilot or anything and I know that it is a big program to use but if the manual was worded better? then I could follow the instructions and find things.Anyway, what I am getting at is..... Can anybody type a word for word instructions for flying from Manchester UK to Alicante Spain and describe in detail how to set up the Autoland so I can get the plane down in one piece?? (I can get to the airport myself)Like I said, I know it is a powerful program, but if I got a word for word instruction list, then I will have a bit of a chance.Big thanks in advance to all.PS, please don't send messages saying that the best thing to do is learn to land by flying it yourself as I need to watch someone or read instructions so that I can get it right and then have a go myself.Regards.Droflas

Guest am2513

Timothy Metzinger's tutorial would address your problem, its really good and teaches you everything you need to know. Only problem is that I can nolonger find it on Avsim...

Mr Metzinger's tutorial is offline for a bit as he is doing a new, up-to-date version since the new patch. I'm sure he'll have it out soon and it will be fantastic. Until then Droflas, I'd suggest you download the manuals from the PMDG web site and give them a good look-through. You'd be surprised how much you can learn just from reading those things!ChuckAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 60 gig HDD | WD 40 gig HDDTwin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB PedalsNostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Erups

While you download and read the manuals, here is a short tip.>I fancied this and so bought the program, but it is a bit>daunting???The 737 is capable of auto-flying an ILS and auto-landing.These are two complitely different things.To auto-fly an ils, you just set the NAV1(2) frequency, the CRS (course, it's on the MCP), activate the autopilot A(:(, and press the APP button.This way the airplane will (at least if you are under certain circumstances, eg you're heading towards the ILS, you have a course that will intercept the localizer and you are below the glide) follow the ILS automatically, and you should only take care of flaps, speed and gear.And at the right moment, disengage the AP and flare the plane.The Auto-land needs both autopilots A and B.You have to tune the same ILS frequency on both navs, and after pressing the APP button, press the other autopilot button.As to say: if you have autopilot A active, and press APP, then press autopilot B.Both A/P lights should remain lit, and the plane will initally follow the ils just like before, but it will also flare automatically.>I have tried the introductory flight in the manual that came>with the program but it says (for instance)Cockpit preparation>- - Batteries on - - APU Start ETC then it says "Switch the 3>ISO valve to AUTO ??? I can't find them???ISOlations valves, belong to the pneumatic system.They are to be found on the center right of the overhead panel.

"Switch the 3 ISO valve to AUTO ??? "I haven't checked the tutorial, but I assume this statement means set the (single) ISOlation Valve (one in the middle) to AUTO. The other 2 "ISO valves" mentioned should probably be called (Aircon) Pack Valves. The other 3 bleed valves on the Aircon/Bleed Air control panel have no AUTO settings (so I guess we can exclude these as possibilities).Hope this helps.Cheers.Ian.

Guest GeoffC

Just a quick thought. Check that the destination airport has a full ILS. Some airports don't and if it only has a localiser it won't autoland. Try doing some circuits at Manchester to practice the autoland to make sure your technique is correct.This will definately work as I fly there all the time as I only live ten mins from the airport.RegardsGeoff

Guest Zapper

Hi Droflas,You maye find a tutorial I have written to be of some help.It is available at my homepage shown in my sig. Give me a yell on MSN if I can be of further help mate.Rgds,

Guest simtrac

I think the thing to do is break it all down into sections and practice practice practice. As Geoff said, a good thing to do is choose your favourite airport with an ILS (mine's Bournemouth UK), make sure you haven't got a full fuel load and do some circuits. There's no substitute for experience and you'll find out how the aircraft behaves when intercepting the localiser, what angle to intercept from, what happens if you miss it etc etc. If all goes pearshaped, pull the gear and flaps up and go around for another try. This is a VERY complex simulation of the 737NG - to fly it properly you are almost looking at the equivalent of a type rating - it is that close to the real thing. That is to say, real world 737 pilots have taken literally years of training and experience to get where they are - so this program does demand some homework. It is no toy and as such isn't as forgiving as the standard Microsoft aircraft, although having said that, she flies beautifully and easily if you get it right. But remember - in the real ones you have TWO guys doing all the work!I do have a PPL, but I'm not instrument rated so I have had to work hard - plus I don't really like asking questions on forums - I prefer to work through a problem myself - that's just what I'm like!I have found though, that you can eventually find the answers in the manuals and tutorials. I have had the NG for ages now and only last week finally managed to fly properly from Luton to Schipol after several attempts. I didn't look at 'map view' or use a gps once, I had full Ultimate Traffic and real weather - AND I did it all from the virtual cockpit! I can tell you, when you can finally do it right, the buzz is fantastic.Keep trying - you'll get there!Simon

Guest Boone

It's a shame Tim's tutorial isn't currently available. That is the PMDG Bible!One word of advice ( x 3): Circuits, circuits, circuits!Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Guest sj3

Try this, and I sincerely hope it helps. It only addresses getting autoland to work and it worked for the person who originally asked. A few things you need to do to get approach/autoland to work:1) Use the approach page in the FMC to figure out your vref speed, i.e. tell the FMC how much flaps you want and it will tell you the corresponding approach (vref) speed2) Ensure your arrival runway is selected in the FMC (probably should do this before no. 1 above.3) Ensure your ILS frequency is dialed in to BOTH nav radios3.5) Dial in the runway heading (available from the approach page on the FMC once you've reached cruise) in to the Course window on the PFD.4) As you get near the localizer, at a reasonable approach angle (8) Apply flaps as/when instructed on the speed tape.9) Gear down at the outer marker (displayed in the upper right corner of the same display as the speed tape, rate-of-climb display.10) Arm spoilers.11) Ensure passengers are allowed to smoke if they want, as this could be their last flight! (Sorry about that!).Really, one of the finest joys I've had was applying Fred/Tim's tutorial to other point A's and point B's. When Fred says to do something at PAPPI or WAVIE, do that same thing on your flight at the corresponding point in your flight plan. You'll need to use the charts Fred/Tim included to see where these are.I hope this was of some help and not complete jibberish!Good luck and let me know if questions.

Guest Droflas

Well I logged on tonight expecting nothing and what I got was a load of help.Thanks for it all.am2513 - Thanks forthe info and I will keep an eye out for the tutorial.chuckB - Can't wait for the up to date version. CheersErups - I will try this out at the weekend an let you know how I got on. and thanks for the tips on the ISO I will look as soon as I finish here.Qavion - cheers for the info, I wasn't after auto settings for these, just trying to find out what and where they are. also I notice that a lot of the aircraft info is abbreviated so it makes it even harder???GeoffC - Sounds good to me and I only live at Salford, do you know of any clubs in the area for flight soms??? I went to the Blackpool flightsim exibition but didn't really get any help from it.simtrac - I have looked at some manuals but struggle with the abbreviations (not knowing most of them) and so I tend to skip through parts when it starts abreviating too much.Boone - Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.sj3 - Going to try your help as well at weekend and will let you know the outcome???Once again. A big thanks to you all for taking time out to help me.Regards.Colin.

Guest boxjockey99

ColinIf you can't get a hold of Brad Marsh (since he is 12hrs ahead of us down under) feel free to give me a yell on MSN also, my MSN address is boxjockey99@hotmail.com I am not an NG driver but fly the classic (3/4/500 series) for a living and should be able to help with the basics of flying the thing and making the FMC work! Happy trailsKris

Guest simtrac

Ah. Abbreviations - I must admit, I sometimes have a prob with some of them. I THINK they may be hidden away in the manuals somewhere (anyone?)I suppose you could just post a list of the ones you don't know and everyone could band together and help you? The thing is with the manuals and tutorials - you do have to do EXACTLY what they say - if you skip bits, then the aircraft will start doing wierd things sooner or later.eg - I'm wondering why I couldn't get CMD B to engage on the approach - and the reason was that I hadn't turned Hydraulics B on when I started the engines. It was clearly in the tutorial, but I was eager to get off and missed it! That's what checklists are for ...

Hello thereFirst of all, you need to make sure you are landing on a runway at Alicante that has a CATIII ILS. This means that your CATIII capable plane (B737) can be set up to fly the full autoland. Now, when approaching Alicante, the best thing todo is take it off LNAV and put it on Heading select. You will need to intercept the localiser (the lateral part of the ILS) at about a 30o (degree)angle. So, for example if the RWY heading is 090, and you are approaching from the north, you will want to be on a heading of about 120 to intercept it nicely. If this angle is to steep, you will fly through the localiser. If it is not steep enough, it will take a while to establish. You will want to try and establish at about 15 miles out. So, you are heading 120 on the heading select. Something I didn't mention...you will need to be under the glideslope (the vertical part of the ILS) to capture it. So you will need to descend to roughly 3000ft for when you are on your intercept heading of 120. Speed should be about 180 kts. Too fast and you'll fly right through the localiser. Ok, A3000ft , H120 and S180kts. (Probably Heading select Altitude hold and Speed hold with Autopilot A CMD engaged)Now you need to hit the VOR/LOC button which can be found on the autopilot panel or MCP (mode control panel). This will arm the autopilot to establish on the Localiser for you. This means, you can now sit back and watch it turn onto the heading of the RWY, inline with it. You will notice the Heading select button extinguishes. This is because the autopilot is now VOR/LOC. So you are established on the localiser. But wait, you still have to get down to the RWY don't you? When you see the GlideSlope come alive, you can hit the APP button. This will tell the autopilot to fly the whole ILS approach for you right down to the end of the runway. You will see the VOR/LOC now extinguishes as the APP is taking care of it all. You also need to hit the second autopilot button, CMD B because it need both autopilots to fly such a precision approach to cross check each other etc. Speed normally 160 knts until you reach 4DME (4 miles from the RWY). Then you select your VREF speed that you should have picked from the APP REF page on the FMC. Now all being well, you should be able to sit back, relax, and watch the autopilot execute a perfect landing for you. You must note I did not include the basics such as setting flaps at the correct speed, arming the speed brakes, auto brakes and lowering the gear. All you need todo now if find the gate!! Hope this basic tutorial helped!All the best and happy landings,Ross

Ah, sorry everyone, new to these forums and didnt see that everyone had already posted on the subject. Well maybe you can still read my little bit of advice. Something i forgot to mention was to make sure both navigation radios are tuned into the ILS. RegardsRoss