Sign in to follow this  
Guest venquessa

Any idea what is doing this?

Guest venquessa

I have now ended up with another take off with no landing, due to MSFS locking up on me. Symptons are:A windows error "Donk", with no pop up window.Flight sim goes unresonsive, no gfx update, but still has sound.Non of the task bar window buttons can be right clicked.No CTRL-ALT-DEL, no right click task barCan launch any programs.Can't close, quit or otherwise kill FS.I left it running while I typed this message, and it has come back, momentarily, then locked up again, black screen.I can't say it's the 737, but thats all I've been flying this past week or so.Anyone seen this before? Any pointers?

I don't know if it's the same problem, but in the last few weeks I have discovered a similar problem. After flying for a while, I get a black screen, but I still have the sound. It is not possible to exit FS or use CTRL-ALT-DEL so I have to restart my computer.Marius S

Marius S

Could it be your memory going bad? I had almost similar issues (computer would reboot by itself after launching FS for a few minutes) I replaced my memory and all lockups/reboots issues are gone. Hope this helps....John

I have the same solution as John: Check your memory. I my case it happened after I installed FS9 for the first time. Suddenly a perfectly stable system locked up. After I exchanged memory - a tip from someone in the AVSim General Forum - all problems were gone.Good luck!Gert

Guest flyinggriffin

I had this problem and I traced it to a sound card. In my case ditching the card I had in the machine and using the sound card on the motherboard. What I found was that if there was a lot of AI traffic that is when it would lock up. Changing the clouds to simple helped, but ruined the effect. Finally getting rid of the soundcard did the trick. Bob K.

Guest venquessa

Thanks.My memory is brand new, one stick of 512 400DDR ram is about 4 months old and the other about 1 month.The only thing is that it's an Athlon 2500+ clocked to 2.2GHz 400Mhz memory speed, which is the MAX setting, the default is 1.4GHz and 333 RAM Speed.The other thought is that I still have a 1999 soundblaster card for sound. I might as you suggest switch over to the onboard. The only catch with that for me, is that I use Linux for everthing but FS2004 and it doesn't have drivers for my onboard sound :( So I would have to keep switching audio lead over.Thanks again.