Sign in to follow this  
Guest glassb

VOR RADIAL

Guest glassb

Hey,I know that you put your first VOR Radial (heading) to the COURSE selector before takeoff and you also put the FREQUENCY for the FIRST VOR that I will intercept into the NAV 1 Radio...but don't I put the very LAST VOR (if there is a last one because sometimes in a route there just happens to be only one fix that has a VOR in the entire route) that I will intercept into NAV 2 Radio (the frequency of couse that is)?Cheers,Brandon

Brandon,I think that is pretty much up to the captain i.e. you, to decide. You should put in any navigational aids and courses so you easily can get an situational awareness. You should also consider putting in nav aids to be able to fly using raw data in case of FMS system failure.Hope it helps,

Guest glassb

yea, but woudn't you normally put the fir VOR frequency in NAV 1 anf the last VOR for the route in NAV 2?Rgds,Brandon

No I would normally look at any maps/charts before take-off as I described above! And continually change the nav aids as necessary during the flight.Cheers,

Guest glassb

wow, i was really just double checkin because the tutorial in the manual i eceived in my cd version, said to do so!Rgds,Brandon

Guest boxjockey99

BrandonIn the real world we tend to set up the aids for departure then once airborne we periodically do what is known as an accuracy check to confimrm the FMC position is where we actually are. This is of particular note as my fleet is still on FMC update 5 which was written by Noah during a little sailing trip way back when! These accuracy checks are done about once per hourbut about 120 miles before Top of Drop we set up and brief the approach. In doing this we set up the aids for the approach we wish to do so in most cases we would have the ILS frequency in the nav boxes ready for the ILS. Put simply we rely on the FMC auto tuning the radios all the way to the destination while periodically checking the accuracy of the system. Gone are the days of taking position fixes every 2 minuetes from distant VOR's and NDB's.... thats why we have FMC'sKris

Guest glassb

Hey Kris,Thanks for your reply. What airline do you work for? Just curious.Thanx,Brandon

Guest boxjockey99

I work for Channel Express officially although I fly for Jet2 which is Channex's low cost operation based out of Leeds in the UKKris

Guest glassb

I have never heard of that airline before. It's nice to get technical help at times from a real genuine airline pilot!THREE GREENS!Brandon