Sign in to follow this  
Guest glassb

autoland question

Guest glassb

I know when doing an autoland you do the following:- Set NAV 1 and NAV 2 Radios to ILS Frequency- Set Course and Heading selectors to the runway's heading your landing on- Set VOR/LOC - Set APP- Set altitude- Set autopilot to COMMAND BMy question is with the altitude you set when setting up for a autoland. Do you set the altitude to the runway altitude (airport charts show altitudes by each runways like "81" for example which of course means 81 ft.)?Let me know,BrandonPS: By the way, if I said anything wrong on the list above on what to set for an autoland, just say so as well :-).

You set the MCP altitude to your missed approached...Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

"You set the MCP altitude to your missed approach..."In this case, Randy, wouldn't they be talking about the altitude at which you would intercept the glideslope.... Seems like they're talking about the procedure prior to intercepting the G/S rather than after. Once established on the G/S, you would then select your missed approach altitude.Of course I could be mistaken ;-)Cheers.Ian.

Guest Nickman

Bottomline is that you don't need your altitude set to the runway heading. You can have it at 35,000 ft if you want and have a successful autoland. But yes, you should set the altitude to go-around altitude after GS capture.Nick B.Continental Airlines Virtual 737NG Pilothttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz (Equal to 2.8 ghz)400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Guest glassb

last question,I have seen stills for the PMDG 737NG doing an autoland and they only had the NAV Radios tuned to the ILS frequency (with course and heading set to landing heading) with the autothrottle armed and the speed selector on and autopilot B on....so do you actually need to active VOR/LOC and APP to do an autoland? or just as I said above?Rgds,Brandon

Yes! The A/P needs lateral and vertical guidance i.e the LOCALIZER and the GLIDE SLOPE.Just because the APP or VOR/LOC buttons aren't lit doesn't mean it's not a selected mode. When the aircraft has captured LOC, the VOR/LOC button will unlit and at LOC and G/S capture the APP goes dark. This means that they can't be unselected by pressing them. All mode buttons that are lit can be unselected by a push on the button. The secret to know what mode the aircraft is in is to look at the FMA on top of the PFD.Hope it helps,

Well you could be right, but I guess that depends upon what you stated in regards to G/S already captured. The way the question was asked seemed to me to imply after G/S but who knows ;DBest Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest glassb

thanks Mats and Randy.Rgds,Brandon