Sign in to follow this  
Guest SD Sim

Win XP PRO and FS2K2...Do they not get along or is it j

I am running Win XP Pro, FS2k2, have a Voodoo 3500 3d graphics card, 450 mhz processor, more than adequate RAM and hard drive, yet I can't get any better than 10.5 Frames per second even on minimal graphics in full screen mode. When I go to window mode, it MIGHT give me 4 fps. Graphics are extremely rough and choppy with no smooth edges at all...I flew around NY City as a test, and the Statue of Liberty was there...And then it just "disappeared"! Also, my CH Virtual Pilot pro, as well as a crappy joystick will both inexplainably quit working after take off resulting in a nose dive. Once they quit, I have to unplug them, replug them in and start all over. I went back to FS2000 and while it was a bit less enthralling, it at least let my controller keep working.

Lots of people, including myself, are running FS2K2 in XP Pro just fine. It's more likely some hardware, drivers, or some such that you need to get worked out (and that I'm sure others here will help you with).I do remember a thread saying some were having problems with CH and XP -- I'm running the USB pedals and yoke with no problems whatsoever. Always pays to have the most current drivers of whatever you're using.

Guest Lobaeux4

You might want to consider upgrading your processer from a 450 mhz to something a little more modern. I run FS2K2 on Win XP Pro with an AMD 1.7, and although I can't put all my sliders to max, it runs quite nicely on Win XP

As someone else said, your system is borderline for 2K2.... I did run it for a while with a Voodoo (I have an 800 mhz cpu). My performance with AI turned off (a must with your system) still averaged around 35-40 fps in all but the most complex areas, like L.A.I have to believe if you have AI off, you can average close to 20 fps, if not higher. But fly around Chicago, LA, etc... and your performance sounds reasonable given your system. So what--fly around Vancouver or Portland instead.... The sim should still be flyable for you until you upgrade.As a side note--I upgraded from a Voodoo to my current GeF/2.... The sim became more visually stunning all around... But it'd be a guess if your system, given its age, would support the GeF cards... And without an increase in cpu, performance will always be an issue, as that's your biggest bottleneck at the moment...-John

Hi. I have a copy running on XP Pro with a Duron 650 on an FIC AZ-11 mainboard, and with 320 MB of PC-133 mem. Runs fine. Have a Voodoo 16MB Video card from Creative and just using the MS Precsion Pro Joystick on that one.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Travis,Regarding your joystick problems, if they are both USB, then I think I can help you. Windows XP by default allows the USB hubs to be powered down if they don't sense a load, which happens to many users. I'm on a W2K OS right now, so my advice is from a rather shoddy memory (the biological variety). That aside, do the following: in the system control panel open the device manager and right click on your USB root hub(s). You will find one tab with an option reading something to the effect of "allow the system to turn off USB to save power". You need to disable this option and all should be fine. Unless you know which hub controls the joystick, then the easiest option is to disable "sleep mode" for all the hubs.As for the slow frame rates, as others have already pointed out this is probably a consequence of your aging system. Sorry.

Guest SD Sim

Thanks Elrond. Perhaps you should get some sleep before you get dragged into my latest problem (memory latency OT post) ;). Hope your back is on the mend.