Sign in to follow this  
Guest venquessa

Landing at the gate.

Guest venquessa

All you need is a 140kt headwind. I actually managed to land (almost) at the gate in a fairly normal rate landing, flare and all. Ground speed about 2 knots (backwards).Try it, it's fun. You can try it for any VREF speed, and wind speed, if you want to try touching down 20 feet away at 20 knots, it could fun to have a 120kt headwind and a 140kt VFREF.The catch is of course, flying the pattern.In this exercise the pattern is more a reverse tack manouvuer. Turn 15 or 20 degrees to one side, and try and keep a sensible low airspeed. Then turn 15 or 20 degrees to the other side and repeat, you should slowly work you way backwards.Of course you can fly a proper pattern, but be VERY careful in the cross wind sections, weird stuff is gonna happen. Also remember that the downwind leg is warp speed and the inbound walking pace, so don't go for a 10nm ILS or you'll be there for hours at VREF+5. (Running speed).You can even work your way back to the ILS and enage the auto land, just remember to set the speed high and hand fly to the gate.Enjoy.

Amazing that you just came up with the idea. ANy screen shots to share?:-xxrotflmaoTGIF,

Guest venquessa
http://www.campbell-multimedia.co.uk/fs-stuff/737_VTOL.zipTry this. I don't know if these things work. It's not easy, this was with the A/P and A/T to help, though I did orginally do it by hand, thing is then went for percision and used the AP/AT.In the VID I nearly mess it all up, but recover and land vertically in a gate... sort off. Shame I forgot to disco the AT and it sits for ages with the power on.Anyway hope the link and vid works, but try it yourself it's fun.737NG carrier landing for the avsim screen shots forum? LOLPS. the tack manovuer doesn't work too well. Improvements?

"737NG carrier landing for the avsim screen shots forum? LOL"I've done it with a 747-400.... with a similar headwind. I'm sure the NG would be breeze (pardon the pun).Cheers.Ian

Guest bobsk8

Had a nice wind myself tonight flying into the Orlando Area from Tampa Bay wth the FS weather being generated by the storm down there. Had a really good left crosswind on final and spent most of the time when I could get a visual of the runway looking out the Co-Pilots wind screen at the runway. As I flared the plane must have been over 15 degrees to the runway direction. Was really realistic....

Hi all,Talking of this, I also did it in a 744 the other day...200kts x wind, VTOL. FUN FUN!!!Ross