Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

What is the correct approach pitch?

I have about 4 deg nose up with flaps 30 at 120K lbs LW. It looks like about 6 deg in SPOT view but it never exceeds 5 deg max according to the default FS9 instruments when I bring up that view and is usually 4 deg. Is 4 deg pitch up normal for the -600 with that weight and flap setting ? I am reluctant to change any Vref speeds with this pitch since all works very well. I am just curious about this item in particular.Thanks!Jonathan

I know mr Bill Bulfer has a chart showing what appears to be a 737 classic profile @ 2.5 degee pitch @ flaps 30 and 57% N1. He does not mention weight or model so beats me. Certainly a good question for a rw pilot....Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest SAS784

Normal degrees nose up during final approach in the flare procedure is 4-6 degrees and also the normal angle when touching down. The maximum structural weight during landing is 120,500 lbs for the 737-600, so you are quite near the maximum weight. If you're this heavy during landing you can surely expect a quite high angle during the approach, especially if you use flaps 30 instead of flaps 40. If an aircraft is heavy, flaps 40 is a better choice due to a lower angle without much speed deduction. Say you have 120 kts on flap 30 setting, then my assumption would be that flap 40 setting would have about 118 kts VREF. But as long as you stay within the allowed LW and degrees angle for the approach you're ok.Best regards,Fredrik

Guest Valid_Andy

As far as I know the classics / originals have different pitch attitudes. I know the classics have about 2.5degree nose up on flaps 30, and 1degree up on flaps 40...So i'm guessing the NG is different, although I always fought it seemed very steep in the sim, thats why I perfer the -800 as it comes in nearly flat:D

Thanks, gentlemen, for your replies.Yeah, I figured 120K lbs was fairly heavy, but not abnormal. Anyway, I take the point about weight and pitch, and I'll try flaps 40 now.The challenge of a/c pitch-up remains one of the toughest aspects of FS. All can be perfect until the last 200 vertical feet and if the pitch is a bit high, you can really buy the farm on landing! I do wish we had some sort of simulated peripheral vision. Maybe BugEye will show us that stuff at the AVSIM convention.Thanks again.Jonathan

Straight out of a -700 manual.Flaps 303 degree glide path3.7 degree's airplane body attitudeFlaps 403 degree glide path2.0 degrees airplane body attitudeI don't think landing weight is a factor in what the airplane body attitude is during final approach. Think about it.Floyd

Thanks Floyd. Very interesting.Jonathan