Sign in to follow this  
Guest rperdok

APU Fire Control Handle

Guest rperdok

Hi All,I have a problem with the APU that goes into failure at the moment I put the APU fire control handle in the UP position as described in the checklist. I have this problem since I installed the 800/900 a few days ago. I have the latest versions of both the 600/700 and the 800/900.I am using FS9.Hope anyone has a solution to this problem (instead of just skipping this checklist entry:-) )Regards,Ren

Guest Nickman

Actually, I don't think you pull any fire handles unless you there is a fire. Pulling the APU Fire Handle will shut it down to prevent the fire from spreading.Nick B.Continental Airlines Virtual 737NG Pilothttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz (Equal to 2.8 ghz)400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Guest rperdok

Maybe that is true, I don't know. The checklist say to put it in the up-position, that's what I did before updating with the 8/900, never experienced this problem then.Perhaps someone can explain what the use is for putting this control handle in the up position. It seems to me that you arm the fire distinguishers, but then I wonder why you dont have to do this for the engines.:-zhelp Regards,Ren

As far as i am aware, all firehandles when pulled up, shutoff fuel and hydraulic fluid to the engines. This is proably the same for the APU. Then you twist it, and it releases an extinguisher. You should not pull this APU handle unless you have a fire. I should hope your not pulling it just to shut it down at the end of the day. Ross

Guest rperdok

Hi Ross,Thanks for your answer, sounds logical. In that case it is probably wrong in the checklist. After the APU is started in the Cockpit Acceptance Check, the checklist says to put it in the up-position in the Exterior Pre-flight Inspection.Well, I will delete this from my checklist!Regards,Ren

The key words you just said were "Exterior Pre-flight Inspection". This has nothing to do with the APU fire handle on the flight deck. There is an APU fire handle in the main wheel well also and when pulled 'down' it will shut down the APU. This is why the check is to ensure the handle is in the 'up' position in the wheel well.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest rperdok

Thanx John,That is really helpful! I did not know there was a handle there as well. I Only have to work with the software and documentation I bought.It also sounds logical, you cannot reach the fire control handle on the center pedestral while doing an exterior inspection...:-hmmm Why didn't I think of that....Thanks anyway!Ren