Sign in to follow this  
zazaboeing

Parallel Hold Entry --> Error

Guest DZollner

"Center: Delta 1234 cross 10 west of ABC at and maintain 11,000Delta: We are kinda close and probably won't make thatCenter: Well don't you have spoilers?Delta: Yes, but those are for my mistakes, not yours"LOL, was that an actual transmission? Sorry to get off topic, but that made me giggle.

That's actually quite good, Martijn. All that is required is to keep on the protected side of the fix, which you did. It doesn't matter how elegant or not the hold looks. This would be typical of a cross-wind from the top (north?), and recovering in up to 2 turns (which you did) meets the PTS. Bruce.

Thanks, Bruce,but actually all credit should go to the PMDG AP!I tried several holds on FMS/AP, and most were entered correctly (teardrop, parallel, direct entry, as called for by the angles) except that the initial turn was always commenced too early-and in this case, that does make it look like there was a stiff breeze from the North, but there was no wind. I posted this hoping it might contribute to finding out why things go wrong. I think it's the fact that the initial fix is being missed.Most of the time, I'm getting fairly good holds like this from the PMDG FMS/AP...if only they could erm...fix it so that the AC would pass directly over the initial fix and THEN start the turn...: sometimes the early turn results in the FMC not progressing to the hold-at line because it doesn't seem to sequence the missed wpt. (usually, that same fix) as reported by Per in another post earlier in this thread-in that case you have to 'bump up' the hold-at line manually.I think many of the failed holds in the other posts might have turned out OK if only the aircraft had crossed the fix before entering the hold proper. It's only a small flaw in otherwise excellent FMC/AP behavior.BTW I'm going on pg.175 in Bulfer's FMC user's guide. I don't know if the real NG does overfly the fixes automatically, altough I suspect that it does...but please correct me if I'm wrong...or perhaps in the RW the pilots do not leave it to the autopilot at all and fly the holds themselves? Best,Martijn

Hi Martijn,In fact holds are very rare (at least in the US) these days, as seperation is achieved more through flow control (speed direction by ATC). And I'm sure that those airline captains that are in holds would rather the AP fly the hold :)I'm just doing my instrument rating, so the AP in my plane is always "inoperative" :) One must first learn how to fly using those steam gauges!Bruce.

Thanks Bruce,>In fact holds are very rare (at least in the US) these days, as seperation is achieved more through flow control (speed direction by ATC). Yeah, that's much more efficient I guess...knowing FS flow control though, ought to be plenty of holds there! :-hah >And I'm sure that those airline captains that are in holds would rather the AP fly the hold I guess so, except the ones who were oval racers in their younger days maybe...>I'm just doing my instrument rating, so the AP in my plane is always "inoperative" One must first learn how to fly using those steam gauges!Hey, good luck with your IR!Best,Martijn

Thanks. I'm really enjoying the preciseness of instrument flying.Bruce.

Guest paulmadejong

I know this is an old topic but since there is still no reply from PMDG in this I'm kicking it up.I am very curious if PMDG is adressing this problem in a future update on the 737NG. Furthermore I'd like to know if PMDG is already working on an update. (since they've been working on the 1900C aswell)Regards,Paul

Nothing yet? 2006 guys!

Rafael Henrique Carelli