Sign in to follow this  
Guest james320

ActiveSky 2004 making my NG behave strangely

Guest james320

Since recently installing ActiveSky 2004, strange things have started to happen (most of the time) when flying my NG...1) Cannot engage Autothrottle (switch doesn't respond).2) Some time after take-off speed reads 0 (and shows overspeed!).3) Not long into a flight, FS9 crashes.Are there any PMDG users and ActiveSky 'Proud supporters' who can help....????Thanks,James Stevensonhttp://www.virtualaviation.co.uk

Guest heliosair

3) Not long into a flight, FS9 crashes.- What clouds do you use?- Is Render to Texture ON??

Guest bobsk8

I just installed active sky this weekend and have been flying all over the place with it. I have had no problem at all. I think I might try reinstalling PMDG and see if that helps.

Sorry cant say what the problem is...but I do know i had similar problems when using ActiveSky. When climbing out on autopilot the plane would begin to pitch up and go vertical. Then it would overspeed. Then it would end up in a heap on the floor of course. SO i just disabled ActiveSky. Ross

Guest EDCS

Hi, I have the same Problem. I don`t use ActiveSky but reduced clouds textures (found in the libary here). After some minutes FS 9 crash to desktop. An then FS 9 crashes when loading a flight by about 77% (loading weather). With normal cloud textures it looks normal on a very short trip.Do you think this problem comes only with the reduced textures and with the rendering buttom disabled?Greeting from BerlinStefan

This is discussed in the PMDG manuals with a warning. There are ways to fix (lesson the effects) and would ask what to smooth out in FSUIPC on the Active Sky forum. PMDG do not offer support when the NG is used with weather add-ons...Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Likewise no problem here with As2004. If you are using one of the beta builds, ensure you have installed the included version of FSUIPC as that will affect performance. You'll find it in the AS folder under Modules in the main FS9 directory. Also, they have just posted Build 140 which fixes some issues and includes another updated FSUIPC.Jerry PostKORF

Guest hoohah

I've not had any problems flying the 73NG with AS2004 running in six months (outside of recently fixed {by Mr. Dowson} wind shift bug in FS9).I think most problems are due to incorrect installs and such...

Guest bobsk8

By the way, there is an Active Sky Discussion forum right on this web site. You might post your question there.

Guest zip

I'm running AS2004 MR2 beta, with zero problems with the NG.However, you do need to take some precautions.First, clear all weather in FSUIPC before you "Refresh" from AS02004. Second, you want to enable the gradual wind smoothing as that still plagues the FS9 weather system (how winds can shift 180 degrees in 1 second floors me, but then again, what can you say - you have some weather :)). In some cases, the IAS indicator (left bar) will drop to 0. However, the A/P still reads the correct IAS (unlike somebody's Airbus - what can I say, I am biased), but overall, works very well.PMDG's plane as a matter of fact appears to be one of the few out there that can handle the simulated turbulence while on a glideslope).All to say that this here armchair pilot is quite happy with the PMDG/AS2004 combo.Cheers,

Guest bobsk8

I got Active sky originally for the clouds, but what I really enjoy about it is the turbulence. It makes flying the PMDG really realistic in my opinion. I was landing at Logan airport last night when the weather was kinda rough up there and that plane bounced it's way all the way down the ILS. Awesome!!!

Guest BernBear

StevenI doubt that your problems are related to AS2004.Try using FS9 online weather to establish whether the A/T issue is at all related to AS which I doubt. Your other two issues can be taken care of.The Zero speed issue was occasionally observed with older versions of AS2004. Go get the latest Public Beta of AS (now 2004.5) Build 140 over at the Active Sky support forum. IMPORTANT: you need to copy the latest (Beta) FSUIPC Version 3.3.1.7 over to Modules from ModulesAS2004 for that Build to work correctly. This should fix your Zero Speed issues. Wind smoothing, visibility and weather depiction have also been greatly improved. This AS build is fresh out of private Beta and I would call it a quantum leap compared to the current production version.Then, if you are using Chris Willis' cloud sets AND have "Render to texture" disabled you have to use 32-bit textures, not the DXT3 ones, they'll cause crashes. That should fix your crash problems.I have been using the PMDG birds together with AS since I bought them and am very happy with the combo.Best RegardsMax (Bern, LSZB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Guest james320

Thanks to everyone here who has helped. I have followed up on the advice given and my NG now seems to be flying fine with ActiveSky 2004.Having AS2004 installed and working correctly has transformed the NG flying experience; not because of the look of the clouds (although they look amazing) but because the changing condition s(wind/turbulence) make it much more realistic and true to life, and make the aircraft much more enjoyable to fly.James Stevensonhttp://www.virtualaviation.co.uk

Guest bobsk8

That's also the best feature of Active Sky that I have noticed. Realistic weather changes and realistic turbulence. You feel as if you are really flying.