Sign in to follow this  
Guest venquessa

Autopilot stall regime.

Guest venquessa

As with all the sims I have ever played the A/P in the 737NG has a habbit of trying to kill me if I make a mistake with the airpseed.What I mean is, when the stall horn comes on, wether you have auto throttle on or not the A/P makes no attempt to help matters, in fact it does everything in it's power to increase the stall. It pulls up, even when the V/S starts to drop and the nose is +10 degrees.I think I have once or twice seen it wait for speed before again throwing the nose high and stalling again. Even with the throttles floored if you are heavy the A/P can manage to pull up so much that the stall horn stays on.It's hard to describe what I mean, but it's kinda like that air show stall pass. Engines full tilt, but holding the nose angle so high the plane can't increase speed and "hovers" level. This is more or less what the A/P does. The only way out of it, is to override the thing, push the nose down and wait while praying you have height to get forward momentum, then "slowly" lift the nose up again, keeping the AOA normal.Does the real NG have a stick pusher or anti-stall system on the A/P?

Guest delayedagain

Um...i think this may be just me, but i believe proper procedure is to disengage the AP when a stall or any other malfunction occurs.

Guest A32X

Just fly an Airbus instead ! ;-)

"..737NG has a habbit of trying to kill me if I make a mistake with the airpseed"Actually this is an incorrect statment. You are "PIC" so the airplane does what you tell it to do. So you are telling the airplane to kill you. The airplane is just doing what the "PIC" has asked it to do. Thats why "PIC" stand for "Pilot In Command". I believe a different term has to be used when flying in an Airbus but I am not sure what it is. I had heard "Bus" drivers are not allow to be "PIC"! Right? :-lolOnce again, now ducking for cover!

"Does the real NG have a stick pusher or anti-stall system on the A/P?"The NG has lots and lots of stall prevention/recovery devices, Paul.E.g.1. Automatic extension of the LE Flaps if the aircraft comes near a stall (Mid extend to full extend if the flaps are at 1, 2 or 5 degrees). I don't believe this is modelled in the PMDG NG.2. Elevator Neutral Shift: This makes it hard for you to pull back the stick when approaching stall speed. This, of course, is not modelled (unless PMDG have found a way to control force feedback joysticks :-))3. The DFCS (Digital Flight Control System) computes flight envelope command limits. Part of this safe flight envelope is "Alpha" floor. The autopilot, flight director and A/T alpha floor limit is the minimum speed available for airspeed control that will override manual speed selection or FMC commands. The limit is aproximately 1.3 times the stall speed, according to my manuals.Unfortunately, I don't know why your NG is behaving the way it is. I can't say I've ever had this problem. Perhaps you're setting up your aircraft in a strange configuration (Perhaps your center of gravity is outside the limits?).Anyway, I hope this answers your question.Cheers.Ian.

Guest bobsk8

A pilot friend of mine told me that a frequent comment made between the pilot and co-pilot in a Airbus is , " I wonder why it did that" :)

Ok OK... in defense of the "Bus"... Actually I believe this happens on many complex aircraft. I watched it happen in the RW between two pilots on a Falcon 900EX at FL390.