Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

737NG - Start procedures explained

HiI have some trouble getting my engines started in 737NG-700. I have tried to read the tutorials from Timothy Metzinger and Fred Clausen. But not getting the enginez started is not the biggest problem. I guess I can read the solution somewhere in the many good answers to be found in this forum. What I would like was a sort of turorial where the start procedure was explained. It's easier to remember and it's much more fun if you understand why you are pushing these buttons in the recommended way. Does such an "Start Procedure Explaind" kind of thing exists anywhere? Or is there som clever guy out there in the PMDG forum who can construct my "wonder-tutorial"?CheersLars

Hi Lars,Did you check out the Normal Procedures document on the PMDG web site under documentation downloads? If you follow them you should be able to get the engine started everytime.

Thanks George,I'll try that. But the Normal Procedures document on the PMDG web site do not contain any explanations concerning why it

Lars go to the START MENU/PROGRAM FILES/PMDG SIMULATIONS for manuals that came with the installation of the aircraft.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

The manuals are quite good, but they seem to be written for people who already understand the theory of why things should be done in a certain way. I quite agree with Lars that an explanation of the theory behind the actions would be very nice indeed.One can always dream, but 737NG is such a nice product that one starts to expect perfection :-)I have also experienced occasional problems starting the engines (or one of the engines) and I felt quite frustrated that I did not really understand what was going on.

Guest bkray1

Hi,This book was really well written and quite useful although for a 747-4. It may help you answer many questions about why things are done the way they are. Called "Flying the Big Jets" 3rd edition. By Stanely Stewart ISBN 1853102903. You may want to take a look.Good luck Bryan

Guest hellogoodbye

First of all: I have no problems getting the plane started, but I'd also like to know WHAT I am doing exactly... What do the hyd pumps do? And the packs? What are the generators for? In what way are they connected/related with each other? Does it matter if I put on the recirc fan before the packs of whatever? What's the purpose of the bleeds? What does influence what? What do all the signs mean (GEN BUS OFF)? Heck, what is a BUS?!? I don't even know the difference between AC and DC power...! The manual tells me a lot but not REALLY in depth, if you get the difference...I already know parts of the answers myself, but I don't have the big picture yet. I can't say: 'No, don't turn on the packs yet because you first have to...... whatever'. I got a pretty good checklist and I get the plane started without problems, but the more I fly the 737NG, the more I wish I REALLY knew what I am doing.Being very stupid when it comes to technical stuff (as you've probably already noticed... ;), I'm aware of the fact that my question might be hard (or even impossible) to answer... ;) And I'm not complaining that all this stuff is not in the manuals! O no!!! That would be asking and expecting too much! But I just like to know more. That's why I reacted on this topic.So if someone knows a link to a site that can help me, please share it! :)Jeroen van Engelen

Guest HepburnUGA

Jeroen,I'm not sure if it is available for free download, but I think it is. Try going to www.wilcopub.com and looking around for the PIC767 manual. This manual is extremely well done, and its what I used to begin learning complex add-ons. You have to remember though...a 737 are VERY different. However, most of the knowledge is transferrable from one aircraft to the other.Beyond that, I would ask any and all specific questions you have here and just try to absorb as much as possible.Hope this helps!

Excellent suggestion! I had read parts of that manual a long time ago & I forgot about it. It is still available & the link is:http://www.wilcopub.com/downloads/767_Pilo...and_Systems.pdfThere is also a very comprehensive FMC manual:http://www.wilcopub.com/downloads/767_FMC.pdf767PIC did a fantastic job with the manuals & this is what I will now read to try & understand the theory behind the systems a little better.Thanks

Guest hlm65

Hi Jeroen,I'll try to give you some very very sketched infos:1-AC=alternating current (such as you have in your house, 110 or 220 Volts, normally 50 Hz in frequency; in the airplanes the frequency is normally 400 hz). In an engine, an alternator will produce an alternating current when the engine is running (the same as in your car). The airplane engines hav gearboxes that take part of the engine rotating movement and use it to move alternators, pumps and so on2-DC=direct current, the one that is produced by a battery (the same as the battery of your car). Normally in the aicrafts in 28 Volts. A DC current can be obtained "transforming" an AC current by appropriate means. So you can recharge the battery (once in the cars was done by the dynamo that is a DC generator).The electronics (your computer, your calculator, the TV set and so on) and the avionics (that is the "aviation electronics") work with DC current. The AC current available is transformed in a DC current. (In case of emergency, the main electrical source in an airplane is the battery; since some systems require AC, there are "inverters" that do the transformation from DC to AC).3-BUS: the "wires" that link the generator/battery to the various systems. GEN BUS OFF= the bus connected with the relevant generator is OFF.4-Hydraulics pumps: they generate hydraulic pressure to let the hydraulic systems in a airplane work. The hydraulic system can be used to move the control surfaces (in most fast and heavy jets the controls are "powered" because of the heavy aerodynamic forces acting upon them that will render impossible a "manual" control), the flaps, the gears5-Packs: I think your are referring to the air conditioning/pressurization packs. They are "boxes" that, using engine bleed air (or the APU or the GPU), generate pressurization and condition for the cabin6-Bleeds: are valves that take air from the engines (hot air) that is used in the conditioning packs or for the penumatic start of the other engine. Since tapping air from the engines will reduce the available power, bleeds are to be closed when you need all the power available (eg: high weights in a hot and high airport)7-Recirculating fan: fans that recirculate the air cabin.If you need further explanations, just ask.

Guest hellogoodbye

Thanks for the GREAT info!The link to the PIC manual was of great help: I've read pages 59-62 (elec), 73-75 (hyd) and 79-81 (pneumatic and airco) and that cleared up a LOT!The info about DC and AC (and the rest) filled up the basic gaps! This is an awesome forum! :)Jeroen van Engelen

Guest HepburnUGA

Glad I could help. Enjoy!

Guest hellogoodbye

I'm so excited and enthousiastic, that I just wanted to say that after reading the PIC info a few times more (and the info in this topic) that I suddenly and for the first time really UNDERSTAND my checklists!!! :) Now I finally know why I have to put on some things first before I can use different things! I even changed a few things on my personal checklist to make them more logical! The lights and warnings on the overhead begin to make sense to me! I know what effects turning clicking switches has on other systems! I know what to do and what I should NOT do! It's even nicer than I thought when you understand what you are doing! :)Man, I love this! And the PMDG 373 is the BEST add-on I've ever bought so far! (Maybe even the best piece of software I've bought so far!) Yes, I'm a happy man! :)Jeroen van Engelen

Guest hlm65

I'm happy you're happy !And happy that I could help you.Happy flights !