Sign in to follow this  
744pilot

Question(s) about the real NG??!!

Hello,I had just a few little question about Real ACARS.-Can you also get the active RWY at destination airport over ACARS???-What INFO can a pilot get over ACARS??I ask this because I was wondering if you fly to an airport were the RWY's are crossed (like Zurich, switserland) and the wind has a general direction which makes it harder for a pilot to establesh which runway he can expect. I did a flight to Zurich and I could use the ILS16, ILS14 and the VORDME28. I know that they in Zurich land in all directions, so thats why I ask???

RamonThe ACARS system is more operator specific than aircraft specific. YOU can read some very useful information on the SAS Flight Operations homepage, http://www.sasflightops.com/ Click on 'Datalink' in the menu to the left. There you will find exactly what info is transfered between the aircraft and ground operations.METAR and/or ATIS for arrival airports is commonly transfered by ACARS. I remember being on the flight deck on a transatlantic flight talking to the captain. And the F/O was printing out the KORD ATIS/METAR every three minutes to check the winds and actives.Hope it helps,

"And the F/O was printing out the KORD ATIS/METAR every three minutes to check the winds and actives."I'd hate to see that airline's "telephone" bill :-)

You're right IanI just tonight learned that the fee for ACARS messages is by bytes. And that the standard speed for the ACARS system is 2400 baud or bps. Well, at least on the SAS data link system. But I'm kidding you not when I tell you the F/O was frantically, well almost anyway, uploading the latest ATIS and METAR for KORD. It was quite funny watching this. During this time the captain and I were discussing my profession! Which at the time was HVAC design engineer. The captain was planning on installing a heat pump in his house in Norway and wanted my opinion on it. No chance to ask aviation related questions during that visit. :-)Cheers,