Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Help! FMC - Cannot build RTE properly; what's wrong....?

I am in the FMC of the -600 and building my very first RTE. I've consulted the tutorial no. 1 by Fred Clausen and that's where the trouble started. I cannot seem to get data accepted into the FMC RTE window. Most of the time, it says "Invalid entry."For e.g., I have successfully inserted my personally selected initial departure waypoints (don't even ask me about the KDEN SIDs; that went hopelessly for me, unfortunately). But then when I select J80 to fly to the VOR of MLF, it says once again "Invalid entry." Why? MLF is valid and that is accepted under "TO", but the J80 jetway is not accepted as valid under "VIA." Most jetways are not accepted and I get "Invalid Entry" for just about every one I hit.I had the same trouble with Fred's tutorial. I am baffled. I updated the nav data after installing the a/c several weeks ago.I also have delete problems but that's for another post (!)Hope somebody can assist me with this. Thanks!JS

The first ENTRY must be a WPT "TO" followed by an AIRWAY "VIA". You cannot enter a AIRWAY FIRST. You will also need to INPUT the ENDING POINT for each airway... Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest Balrog

Whatever point or navaid you enter in the TO column must be on the jetway you then enter in the VIA column. Have you checked if MLF is on J80? Even if MLF is valid on its own, that just means that this navaid exists in the database, it also needs to be associated with the jetway for this to work. Same goes for all jetways you enter, the point where you hop onto the jetway, and the point you wish to jump off must be associated with that jetway. Kinda like a highway.Cheers,Kjell.

Hi, Randy:Thanks for your quick reply. OK, I get the sequence of entry, thanks.Typically, I've been selecting a VOR for the TO field and then defined the jetway to get to that VOR. But the airway does not end at that VOR (should it?). I then route myself along another jetway to another VOR which might turn out to be several waypoints down that jetway. The entries for the VORs are always accepted but the jetways are not accepted as valid. I change jetways on the way to my destination, just as one changes freeways in a car. Is this not permitted by the FMC ? I am probably still missing something or misunderstanding something in this process. Any clarification welcome, thanks again.Jonathan

Hi, Kjell:Thanks. OK, that makes sense. I have been using the moving map of FSNavigator 4.5 for visual and data guidance and info, but I understand what you say. Now I have to figure out the valid throughpoints of the displayed jetways. I wonder how I do that....?Jonathan

The first TO wpt is the anchor of the airway. You can locate some RW routing pretty easy unless you are trying to route from a remote location. Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

OK, Randy, thanks. I am still trying; it's amazing how tough flightplanning like this can be when you try to do it professionally. I've had years of doing it an easier (and perhaps wrong) way. Kjell posted an interesting point I'd not thought of in this process.Jonathan

Guest Balrog

Jonathan, there are route finders out there that might help you, here`s one that I use from time to time:http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/It seems to be updated with latest AIRAC too.Let`s take an example, enter KBOS as departure, KMIA as destination, and press find route. You`ll get a breakdown of the route in response, but at the bottom is what you enter in the FMC:PVD J55 HTO J174 DIW AR14 METTA AR1 HOBEEHere`s how it works:PVD is associated with J55, on RTE page 2, PVD as first TO-point.Next, J55 in the VIA column, but on the line below where you put in PVD. Then HTO in the TO column, on the same line. Now you`ve told FMC where you want to enter J55 (PVD), and where you want to leave J55 (HTO). HTO is also associated with J174, so it acts as the hop-on point of J174 - or anchor as Randy calls it. This is how it should look when you`re finished: PVDJ55 HTOJ174 DIWAR14 METTAAR1 HOBEEHOBEE is where your STAR into KMIA starts.If you go to the LEGS page after activating the route, you`ll find a breakdown of the jetways into their individual points.DISCLAIMER:I don`t fly in the U.S, so I`m not vouching for the correctness of this route, but as I said I`ve used it with success - but in Europe.Mostly I fly with real world flight plans, get them from work. You might also want to check out the flight plan forum here on AVSIM, where you can post requests too.Cheers,Kjell.Edit: I see that the columns don`t match up above, PVD is to be entered in the right column

Thanks, Kjell.Clearly, this is gonna open up a whole new world (and can of worms!) for me.I appreciate your time and effort.Jonathan

Guest Balrog

No problem, Jonathan!Been thru the same hoops myself, way back when DF came out with their 734.Hopefully you`ll find that the can of worms turn out to be full of gummy bears instead (or any other candy you fancy) :9 Happy flying!Kjell.