Sign in to follow this  
Allflight57

ride in cockpit real life

Hi I was wondering if it would be a stupid question to ask if I could ride in the cockpit during flight because I have seen pictures allover airliners.net of people saying...thanks to the crew for a wonderful flight in the cockpit...or something like that. So Im gessing they are passengers. Thanks. Tyler

Guest bobsk8

If you are in the US, I don't think that would be possible. Rules are really strict about that since 9-11. Probably would find the same prohibition in most countries today.

Guest Nickman

After the plane has landed, some airlines sometimes allow you to take pictures of the cockpit or sit in it. The pictures you see were probably years ago, when rules weren't so strict.Nick B.Continental Airlines Virtual 737NG Pilothttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz (Equal to 2.8 ghz)400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Tyler,Despite the restrictions after the 11th of September 2001 my experience of asking for a tour in the cockpit is pretty good. But as others have stated it depends on which airline you are flying. Scandinavian has always been friendly and often let me into the cockpit. Especially on long haul flights the crew seems to get bored and wouldn't mind some company. ;-)My point is. It's not yet forbidden to ask for a tour of the flight deck while on cruise. If you don't ask you can never get a yes. Go for it!Cheers,

Guest ENZV

Yep.. there is no harm in asking.. I've jumpseated with SAS two times this year, just after asking them kindely by a letter. Now I know some of the pilots on those two flights, so next time it will be easier to get a jumpseat :-)

Well I would not dare to ask to go into the cockpit in flight in the US! It is of course ok to ask if you are already landed etc, but most folks think security over curiosity..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest zip

I was 8 years old on my very first plane ride from Geneva to New York on Swissair. Because I was by myself, and this was in the 70s, I had to proudly wear my passport and travel docs in a white plastic pouch hanging on my neck, and aside from the bar of very excellent Swiss chocolate and the game kit that made all the other accompanied kids on board very jealous, the flight attendant responsible for me asked me if I wanted to see the cockpit. Are you kidding? I spent about 2 hours in the cockpit over the atlantic in the jump seat, and I just remember one thing: I had never seen so many dials, knobs and buttons before, and the very first thing out of the captain's mouth was in French "bonjour, ne touche a rien" (hi, don't touch anything). It was fantastic and a heck of a way to enjoy your first plane ride ever, even if I was mad as heck that my parents had me do this on my own (not that I regret because I would never have had that opportunity had they been with me on the flight).It's too bad you can't do this anymore - it was truly an amazing thing for a kid to see this. And from my last flight on Swissair a few years ago, some 25 years later, no more chocolate on Swissair these days either...

Guest venquessa

9-11 kinda screwed it up for asking to see the cockpit. Especially if you are not a kid.Waiting till you are on the ground and asking might be better. You can get a few piccys Im sure.Having friends on a good position in an airline can help if you ask correctly, but again, kids have a better chance I feel.My mate was first class on a 744 to LAX from LHR and asked and got to sit in the jump seat and chat for an hour. The Pilot even shut off all the cockpit and dial lights to show my mate the northen lights. Oddest thing but the co-pilot lived 3 miles up the road from him and the stewardess was from litterally 1 mile up the road! Chances of that!Short haul or domestic and you aren't likely to get a chance anyway as the cockpit is busy for most of the flight.Airshows however might make it easier. I have sat in a few cockpits at local airshows. On the shorts 360 a friends dad asked if we could see the cockpit and I got to sit in the FO seat. When the plane was going to leave for a short display and then off to the International Airport 50 miles away, we got offered the change to ride along for free, if we could get picked up at the aircrafts home.Unfortunately, none of us could arrange a lift from the other airfield :(

Not sure if it

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

>Well I would not dare to ask to go into the cockpit in flight in the >USIs it that bad in your part of the world? That you don't even dare to ask anymore? Something must be really awry...I wonder if UA still have the entertainment channel where you could listen to the radio comms from the cockpit. That is pretty neat if you're not allowed onto the flight deck. I feel sorry for you aviation freaks south of the border. :-(Cheers,

Guest EISN_CONTROL

9-11 kinda screwed it up for asking to see the cockpit. Especially if you are not a kid.I'm afraid the consequences of 9-11 are a lot more serious than that...John http://homepage.eircom.net/~eamonnmca/images/logo_ba.JPGwww.bavirtual.co.uk Senior Captain Simflight.com Staff Reviewer

Guest Lenny Zaman

Must say that everytime i've flown, i got in the cockpit and 75% of them i got to jumpseat aswell.Perhaps the fact i'm a student pilot helps to comfort the pilots with the knowledge that there's not 'just anyone' sitting in their cockpit but someone who has knowledge concering 'what not to do in a cockpit'... I think apart from the strict Airline induced regulations, the only reason you wouldn't be allowed in is for such a reason....I've heard about flights ...person, Student Pilot aswell, goes in the cockpit together with the FA. ... as they close the doors, the Stu-pi hasnt returned.. so he's in the cockpit for the flight ;)But then a guy started shouting he wanted out of the flight because he saw a 'non-crew' person going into the cockpit...... the stu-pi then left the cockpit and the flight resumed as normal but jeeeeeeeeesj... i'd personally assasinate these kind of folks...Last night at the movie store i saw a movie lying there it was something about 'what happens when terrorists gain control of your airplane'... i really wonder why they make this and WHY the gov. allows such blatant lies to be produced....

Guest venquessa

Have you been watching "farienheight 911" again? Good film that.

I live in the US and normally travel on southwest or united frontier continental delta and american airlines so i doubt I could do that. But last time I was on a flight from denver to houston on a frontier 737-300 and not to brag but I know a crapl0oad about planes (cuz of PMDG)and im only 14 so i went up there before pushback and told them all that i knew and told them i was taking lesson and asked really complicated questions (got the questions from the pmdg 737) and after landing I went up and the captian handed me the shutdown checklist (it was the last leg of that flight) and I also got to move the ailerons with hydraulic pressuere on so i went back there while my brother moved the yoke I went back in the cabin and saw them moving wich was cool and i also shut down the plane. wat would be a good way to get i nthe cockpit during flight? Tyler

Guest Thac0

3 months ago I was on one of the late flights leaving Denver to San Diego. There where 12 passengers and another flight crew getting a ride. I went ahead and asked if I could visit the cockpit and they let me ride up there all the way into San Diego. It was a Airbus 320 but I was happy anyway.Never hurts to ask.