Sign in to follow this  
KevMac

Always exceed 250kts below 10,000

For some reason I always seem to exceed 250kts on take-off prior to reaching 10,000ft.. even when the FMC is programmed and says /250 until 10,000. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Here is the scenario: TOGA, flaps cleanup, VNAV (still flying manually, auto-thrust still on), and then I exceed 250kts... It seems I never get out of the TOGA mode even with VNAV engaged.. The only way I correct this is by hitting the SPD button and punch in the 250, or LVL CHG. Then I am in SPEED mode holding at 250kts.. This can't be the correct way to do this?Thanks!-Kevin

Heres a crazy idea (and i don't know whether your getting rediculouly high Vref numbers either but i'll sugest it anyway), check your weight settings in the PMDG Styles menus. Make sure they are set to LBS if your weights your entering on the FMC are in pounds. If they are wrong, generaly this bird will work its a$$ off to try and haul what it thinks is 148,000 KG of weight off the ground and generaly break every speed restriction you set.Just a thought?

Here is another crazy idea, did you ENGAGE a CMD on the A/P after flaps up? You cannot fly manually and be in VNAV. VNAV is the vertical profile and it's either you or the A/P flying. There are only TWO ways to leave TO mode, select an A/P CMD A or B OR engage a pitch mode. Selection of an A/P in TO mode will place the AFDS in LVL CH automatically. Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest venquessa

Just a tiny note as I had this in other aircraft.When you lift off the runway, continue rotating to 18 degrees nose up. If you are light and fast and there isn't any restirction on the departure alts that you might make, if you speed up towards 250, pull up more. Empty on 100% thrust the 737 will hold a serious angle at 250 knots climb speed, so better to engage SPD hold, and then FMC VNAV.Also remember to set the initial speed on the MCP to V2 speed. The A/P will automatically increment this slightly, as to what circumstances it does this and what cirteria it uses to increase the speed I don't know. It should stop you busting the SPD restrictions.Of course you could just pretend ATC said, "737 XXX speed restrictions removed, climb at own best speed sir."

Guest Nickman

Are you looking at your KIAS or GS? The reason I ask is because KIAS is indicated and it can show 250 when you are actually flying 300 (depending on wind and altitude). The GS will show you true airspeed.Nick B.Continental Airlines Virtual 737NG Pilothttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz (Equal to 2.8 ghz)400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Thanks for the replies! Anyway, Can someone tell me what the normal take-off procedure is for a 737NG? What thurst modes are normally engaged at 1500 AGL? BTW, I believe VNAV can be used without A/P engaged, as it provides pitch directions using the flight director.Thanks again!Kev

Guest Nickman

You should maintain V2+25 until about 3,000 agl or cleared by ATC. For one, this will help keep your margin of stall far back. And second of all, it will help keep the noise down.Nick B.Continental Airlines Virtual 737NG Pilothttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg--AMD Athlon XP 3200+ @ 2.2 Ghz (Equal to 2.8 ghz)400W Power supply3x 80 mm Case FansSoyo VIA KT600 Dragon PlusnVidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb2 x 512 PC400100 GB Western DigitalMicrosoft Sidewinder Precision 2

Sorry Kev, the only thing the F/D is showing you is V2 + 20 on TO. Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

> Sorry Kev, the only thing the F/D is showing you is V2 + 20>on TO. Ah ha, thanks Randy :-)Kev

Guest Speedrick

Kevin,Normally, when VNAV is engaged, you should climb as from 1200ft underA/T N1 mode. (As it is on the real 737).Anyway, there's no big deal in exceeding the 250 kts rule, as normally (here in Europe) the planes accelerate directly to 305 kts as soon as they pass 4000 ft.This can be manually entered in the FMC on the CLB page.But to come back onto yr problem, did you already tried to climb with the A/P engaged? If not, thry it and let me know.Brgds,Eric

Guest Speedrick

Howhowhow,This statement is not correct Randy,You can fly under VNAV with A/P off, that's what the real life teached me !!!!!The only parameter that exits the T/O mode is the altitude. I believe 1200ft is the input to leave the T/O mode. You can check this on the A/T mode announciator, during T/O it will show T/O or R-T/O. When passing the mentioned alt, it will show CLB, or R-CLB.Eric

Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Who said that? He is certainly NOT in VNAV if he is manually flying as his first post plainly stated. VNAV is INHIBITED prior to 400 RA so my next post told him F/D on TAKEOFF is not vnav speed profile but MCP speed i.e. - V2+20. "I believe 1200ft is the input to leave the T/O mode. You can check this on the A/T mode announciator, during T/O it will show T/O or R-T/O. When passing the mentioned alt, it will show CLB, or R-CLB." I'm not sure what you are flying "in the real world", but leaving takeoff mode on a 737 NG has nothing to do with altitude. You leave TO mode from selection of a pitch mode OR engagement of an A/P. What does the thrust annunicators on the EICAS have to do with AFDS modes? Modes are on the PFD... Now back to the issue, as you can see here I am in a climb in VNAV with a manual entry of 215/10000 on the CLB page and the FMS is keeping it fine. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/88748.jpgBest Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4][h3]P M D G's 747-400[/h3][h4]coming to a runway near you[/h4][/font color]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |