Sign in to follow this  
Guest WWA7120

747-400 "Queen of the Skies"

Guest WWA7120

Will this new awesome bird be able to run on a W2K box running FS2004? I love flying the 747-400 Meljet plane I have now. Would really love to be able to fly your bird.Joe BrockwayWestwind AirlinesWWA7120

Hey Joe,It should run just fine. It says XP only on the 737 page as well and I have never had any problems at all.

Guest WWA7120

I hope your right Vollmey. I can not wait for them to release the 747-400. I will probably take the day off work just so I can fly it. JoeWestwind AirlinesWWA7120

Guest ba747heavy

If I had to venture a guess (remember the definition of that word please!) I would say the reason PMDG lists all of its products as XP only is for support reasons. In Windows XP, the GDI+ dll is included with Windows, in versions prior to XP it wasn't. That means that customers need to install the dll, which is potential support issue.Thats just my guess, from no specific or unspecific knowledge on my part.

With Win2000 you don't need to download the GDI+ dll. Now with win98 I am not sure if you do or not, but I suspect you would. Win2000 and XP run on the same platform, the kicker with XP is that you have alot of very neat little addons the set the two apart. My machine with 2000 and my other machines with XP at work are great. I personally run Win2000 at home still just because I am lazy and I have not gone out to spend the cash on XP yet, and it works just fine for what I need it for. My plan is to hold out for the next editon (Longhorn or whatever they are calling it today) and go ahead and build a new machine. PMDG has the right to only support one operating system and I don't blame them one bit. But you will be ok with the 747 and Win2000.

Gents-Your guesses are *mostly* correct.... Here is the real reason we are making this package winXP/FS2004 only...1) Development Testing is only conducted on winXP boxes. Although a few of our beta testers will run it on other platforms to "see what happens" we have found it to be cumbersome to test and ensure compatibility with the wide range of Win95/98/Me/2000 versions.Thus we design/build/test only on winXP- and take advantage of the technologies available to it...2) Technical support becomes incredibly complicated when we are dealing with cross-platform issues. We are a very small company- and cannot shoulder the infrastructure investment required to fully offer technical support expertise on non XP platforms.In fact- it really is not PMDG's responsibility to provide windows/hardware support beyond the basic interface with our products- but we have traditionally helped folks to ensure that they get the best out of our package. This becomes quite a burden when we are trying to support across platforms that we do not routinely operate...3) FS9 only.... We have chosen this route because there are options we have access to as an FS9 only development that we do not have access to if we include functionality for earlier versions of FS.... This will be a highly sophisticated, highly advanced product...so we want to be out on the leading edge in terms of technology and capability....

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest WWA7120

So basically if I have trouble it will be up to me to figure it out. I can handle that. I am sure it will be ok on a W2K box. I look forward to its release.Joe Westwind AirlinesWWA7120

>3) FS9 only.... We have chosen this route because there are>options we have access to as an FS9 only development that we>do not have access to if we include functionality for earlier>versions of FS.... This will be a highly sophisticated,>highly advanced product...so we want to be out on the leading>edge in terms of technology and capability....>>I love this part!:-) "highly sophisticated", "leading>edge in terms of technology and capability...."... eh eh :)

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO