Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

What is flying a Lear 23,25,35 like? a cool thread i th

I can't seem to find "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!" in the AIM, but I have come very close to saying it. When we had Shaquile in one of our planes, he insisted that we request a max performance climb, and ATC gave us a little leash, all within the regs, mind you. Actually Departure said "YEEEEHHHAAAA, **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** you guys are climbing fast today!" My favorite "rapid altitude change" was in a Falcon 50EX coming back from the east coast late at night, the sector was very quiet and we were at FL430... Center left us up there long (we promised an expedicious decent in return for the favor).... He cleared us to 10,000ft, we asked if anyone was below us anywhere along our flight path he said it is clear below.... and down we went at better than 18,000 FPM, power to idle, speed brakes fully deployed and nosed over to redline (M0.86 to 370 Kias)... Obviously we were empty... and my co-pilot was my old college roommate... That was a fun ride!click the link belowhttp://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6819__________________Your aircraft should never arrive at a point where your mind wasn't 30 seconds earlier.

Guest GabrielR

That's great, I never been in one of those but I heard they climb like a fighter!!I have a question though, is it possible to go down from that altitude at idle? what about the risk of Icing in the engines? I thought I read in a Falcon 5O manual about some lower limits in the N1 reading for the descent to avoid that condition.....

Guest Lobaeux4

I remember flying the T-1 (Beechjet 400) in pilot training and doing the high altitude approach at Meridian Mississippi, it was dump the nose, put out the boards, throttles idle, and just a roller coaster ride all the way down. For a minute (and just a minute mind you) you could almost forget the IP in the right seat screaming at you. I would grin, ear to ear.Lobaeux

Those descents are a blast! We used to do the old "Emergency Descent" practice in the Falcon 20 over Keesler AFB in Mississippi when training new pilots. To add more fun we would get her 90 degrees nose down looking at the airfield from 20k and then do a slow aileron roll on the way down watching the airport rotate out the windscreen. Never failed to get the new guy all mixed up when we pulled out of it! http://members.shaw.ca/madamo/Avsim_sig_KP.jpg

Guest Lobaeux4

It's a blast doing the assaults at LRAFB, especially the "two-step" assault, one second you're seeing the threshold go beneath the nose, next second the runway has filled the windscreen, then WHAM!, brick one, throttles to idle, on the brakes, stop the Herk in as little distance as possible. A fun way to finish off a little low level.Lobaeux