Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

How can I tell if a joystick is analogue or "digital"?

After three years, I'm looking to finally turf my twist rudder setup for a more realistic joystick / pedal setup. As all my flying is in aircraft that (in real life) have a joystick, so this is the setup I would prefer (as opposed to a yoke / pedal combination).Looking at the CH Pro USB pedals, the manufacturer's website says these pedals are not compatible with a "digital" joystick. Well, the joystick I would like to use these pedals with is a Microsoft Sidewinder joystick (the plain vanilla one - not the Precision 2). I actually have this joystick, but how can I tell whether it is analogue or digital? I used to think it was just a matter of determining whether the joystick was manually calibrated, but I think there is more to it than that. What is wierd is I can't even understand why these pedals wouldn't work with a "digital" joystick in the first place - they are a separate devices that use a seperate axes in FS2002.Anyone who has any idea - or indeed anyone who is succesfully using the combination I am anticipating - please let me know. Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

hi. don't know about "digital" or not, but i've a wingman extreme3d [gameport] and ch pro usb pedals and i fly fine. i don't , however , have wingmans "profiler" in the startup folder, i hadn't liked their profiles, so i use it set up within fs and with FSUPIC help. tom t

They'll work fine in any of the Windows versions of Flight Sim. The SideWinder (I'm guessing you mean the 3D) is digital, though the 3D will run in analog mode, too. The warning on the CH site I think is actually aimed at their analog ProPedals. With a digital stick, you can't plug the stick into the pedals and the pedals into the gameport like you can with analog stick and pedals. The USB pedals won't merge with an analog stick either, though, so I don't know why there'd be a warning on those only about digital sticks.The problem is with sims that only recognizes "Joystick 1", then it's almost impossible to get the pedals and the stick to work unless they're both analog and plug together into a single game port so they look like one 4-axis joystick (or the stick manufacturer makes allowances in their own driver for pedals). Logitech used to do that, maybe they still do, but MS never did. Anyway, if all you're looking to do is fly Flight Sim, the USB pedals will work fine as Joystick 2.- BobThe StickWorkshttp://www.stickworks.com

Thanks both of you for that info. I was getting the impression that was the case. I think the warning would also relate to "true" digital joysticks (ie the ones that have actual contact switches rather than pots in them). Given that the Logitech works fine with these pedals I have no doubt whatsoever the MS one will as well, as they work almost identically. I really looking forward to pedals. It will be the first time ever I will actually get the real "feel" of controlling an aircraft, even if it is only virtual.