Sign in to follow this  
brynjames

Saitek P8000/PCDash2 any good?

Just got the latest leaflet from JustFlight(good suppliers by the way) which includes the Saitek P8000 Command Pad. This appears to have about 35 programmable buttons http://www.dxmarket.com/saitek/products/PD02.html. The Saitek web site says it is for W98 and ME only, and threads on their forum suggest that new software for W2000 and XP will be out "real soon now" (with some hollow laughter from people who were told this last Xmas). Some folk also had problems getting it to work with newer Saitek joysticks.The Saitek rep on the forum confirmed it was "a dead product", although the online shop show it as their 4th best seller!So, anyone here using it successfully for flightsim?Does it plug in another USB port, or does it go in the keyboard line to the keyboard port like the old CH kit?Any way of using it for functions not normally on the keyboard, such as operating PSS747 or DF734 overhead panel switches?Should I snap one up while they are still around, or should I steer clear? I'd appreciate any user experience and advice. Thanks :)

I cannot comment on this particular device, but I can offer my opinion that Saitek has been very slow and very ineffective in getting their WinXP act together. When I was running Win ME, I could never get their Saitek GAming Extension software to run properly with that operating system, and from what I have seen, the "updated "versions do not really work much better in XP. Their software appears to cause weird interactions with both the keyboard and the mouse and my system is not stable with the Saitek Software installed. There is a "driver-only" install" which DOES work fine in XP and that's what I have been using for my X-36 USB which I like very much. I do have to use the profiler that's built-in to FS, but it does work with that configuration. There is a very well-run support forum which can be accessed via the Saitek Website [www.saitek.com] ; it's a private forum. Do not expect a lot of help out of Saitek itself; I , at least, haven't had much. Hope some of that helps,Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

I agree Ed, it seems that all of the joystick and controller suppliers have trouble with new drivers - CH past problems come to mind, and ISTR the Sidewinder had its share too.But back to the topic :) any P8000 users here?

HiIve used the x36 setup for 2 years. I do agree they are very slow in bringing their programming interfaces up to speed. Although when running ME I had a few problems and workarounds it wasnt too bad.Im now running XP and their is nothing available as of yet. Im going to give them 3 months and then consider the new thrustmaster setup.If you can live with setting up your buttons using FS then that works great but you loose the ability to program different keys for the 3 modes available with the x36 setup. RegardsBobG

Guest Mgarmy

I have been using this product now for almost 6 months and am very happy with it. It connects directly to the USB port and is being recognized by FS and Fly!. As I am using XP I could not get the device programmed to generate different key combinations. However, the supplied software as provided with the product should let you do that under ME or 98.Basically I stopped using the keyboard and have all my FS keys accesible from the P8000.Hope this helps.Mannie