Sign in to follow this  

First training flight towards PPL today. Help needed fi

Hi there today was my first lesson towards my PPL, a real buzz to do the real thing after years of flightsimming.I am doing my training at Jandakot Airport in Perth, Australia with the Royal Aero Club.I am training in a Cessna 152 Aerobat and have been looking for a good plane for FS2002, I downloaded Carendo's 152 with updates but it just does'nt feel right, it might just be me but does anybody else have any suggestions for a 152 or just an air file?Looking forward to my next lesson on Friday, only hope the weather holds out.Thanks in advance.Barry.

I know that flight 1 has a trainer coming out soon, though I don't expect it to be realistic enough for you as a student pilot... And I haven't flown a 152 model that comes very close to realism. So I'm not as qualified as some to give advice on an MSFS model, but if you don't mind some other advice......I spent thousands of hours on MSFS before I got my PPL and it certainly helped in some ways, but it also set up some bad habits in others. My advice is to be cautious with any MSFS flight model you get. I don't think you're going to find one that duplicates the flight model of the 152 aerobat like you would want. If you plan on using it for training purposes I strongly suggest that you get a set of rudder pedals to work with. Learning to fly with your feet is very very important. Did you know that you can fly quite well with power, the rudder, and elevator trim only? Have you flight instructor show you... it's always a neat lesson that helps to re-inforce the importance of the rudder. I don't mean to force advice on you, but I just want to be helpful in any way I can to a new pilot. It won't be long until they'll be cutting your shirt tail off in honor of your first solo. Have a blast!!! The reward is so worth the effort. Let us know about your progress and we'll throw one back in your honor!:-beerchug

Thanks Captain for your kinds words.I have a CH products Yoke and Rudder pedal set up which I can thank for giving me an insight into control inputs before my flight today.My instructor said I was above average for a first timer which I think comes from spending lots of time flying sims.I just wanted to get something that felt a little bit better flying the circuit, I guess nothing comes close to the real thing.Thanks again.Barry.

Guest DreamFleet

"I know that flight 1 has a trainer coming out soon, though I don't expect it to be realistic enough for you as a student pilot... "Flight One is designing that trainer for student pilots, and it will be realistic enough. While it works within FS, it is not a typical FS product, and represents a new development direction for the company. Nothing like it has yet been produced for FS, so you would not want to compare it to typical FS add ons.They are showing it at Oshkosh for this very reason.I would dare say that upon release it WILL be the one a student pilot would want to get, as that is exactly what they are designing it for. :-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

I think that, while FS2002 is top notch as a sim, it's not going to help a great deal in the "feel" dept. Not sure what will, it depends so much on your joystick/yoke, settings, etc.What it will do is help you "procedurally". You can practice patterns, memorizing those crosswind/downwind/base headings, radio calls, altitude and airspeed targets, etc. Practicing when to pull carb heat on, add flaps, etc can be practiced. Also, when you get into cross country, VOR/ADF nav works well in the sim. The planes tend to be a bit overstable, so holding headings and altitudes tend to be easier than in real life.Have fun and congrats...DaveKCOS