Sign in to follow this  

GF4 ti4600: How I got it working

In addition:I did some 'research' last night and found this:I have the MSI-845Pro2 Mobo with SDRAM.General rating: Great P4 mobo, dreadfull chipset.Now, if I would like to upgrade the chipset to get the most out of the 4600, what would you recommend, based on DDR?- Intel 845D ?- An SIS 645?- VIA (66 or 66a)?I'm in the dark here.What I read so far is that SIS get's the best ratings.Thx.R.

>>If you or anyone else has experienced this problem and has a >suggested fix I would greatly appreciate learning about it. >I understand that in real life distant objects are not as >clear as nearby ones, however I think one shouldn't have to >be almost on top of the terrain before it crisps up, as is >sometimes the case. >>Macwino Try this tip. It worked for me.http://www.fsgateway.com/tips_read.asp?id=180Cheers,

John

Richter: First let me applogise. I confess I completely misread your post. I was just "dropping in quickly" and had to open my mouth.Mea Culpa!Now as to your dillema. In my experience, OLD Via and Nvidia did not get along at all. Modern Via like the 266 or the 333 seems to do just fine. I cannot comment about the SIS chipset, but on the Intel side, I have never had a more stable PC (and I've had lots) than my I850 based box. No issues. No problems. Amazingly fast.Wish I could be of more help. Thanks for the "gentle" comeback. I deserved worse! :)bt

Forget about it, no harm done.FYI,I just got myself a new mobo (MSI) with DDR and Intel845.Got a great trade-in so upgraded for a few bucks :)Result:9000 on the 3DMark2001SE, instead of the 7500 I had before.It's an improvement, but still no 10.000+.Now get 27-35fps at Meigs.60-80+ in the sky.40-50+ on not so dense ground.25-30 in Simflyers'All in 1600x1200x32 and all sliders maxed.So all in all not bad.Now another question for you:I did no tweaking yet, but what do you considder the most impacting tweak in regard to performance for the combo I have?(AA is off already)Appreciate a little more of your help here."as compensation" :)Cheers,R.

>2. In my opinion, with a 21" monitor, you should be running >MAX resolution (1600 X 1024 at least) and zero AA and normal >filter. Guess you could manually set this up to get max >Tri-linear. AA should only be used to compensate. With a >21" monitor, you don