Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Might be weird one...

But I hope somebody here can help. In my new FS 2002, just installed, I am having a random problem during long autopilot flights. Without any input from me, the view will suddenly change from the cockpit view, to either a spot plane view, virtual cockpit view, or tower view. Eventually it will change back to cockpit view, sometimes, but sometimes to another view.I am working with Microsoft on this, and so far we have reduced my monitor's refresh rate, and updated my video card drivers. Nothing is working thus far. The MS guy said the installation of the program may have been corrupted, and we might try to uninstall then reinstall next.Anybody else heard of such a problem, and can offer any suggestions?

Hi Magnew, yes I have exactly the same problem, so you are not the only one. However I do not know any solution. Sofar my system never hangs on this so I just change back to the view I need...rgds / Dick

Hi Dick:Did you work with Microsoft at all in an attempt to fix the problem? I wonder if you uninstalled then reinstalled the program?Thanks,Mike

No Mike, I am not working with MS on this and I did not reinstall, it just doesnt bother me enough to go through all this trouble..rgds Dick

Something quick to try in the meantime, open a new txt file in notepad and just let it sit there. See if your keyboard or some other device is randomly generating an "s".

Another thing to look at would be if you assigned "S" to something unusual in the assignments. You could try cut and pasting your fs2002.cfg to a safe area on your harddrive, restart fs2002, it will regenerate a new fs2002.cfg, let it stabilize, fly and see if the problem still exists. If not, assign what you want under Options. If it still switches, you can return your original fs2002.cfg to your fs2002 folder.

If it does, what will that indicate is the problem?

Along the lines of what TDog was suggesting, you might also want to check all of your joy stick buttons. Most likely one of these is assigned to cycle views, and may be sticking or making random contact.John

If you start fs2002, select settings, select assignments, you will have a menu screen of the Keyboard and Joystick assignments. The "S" key should be assigned to "Cycle Views", while "Shift+S" is assigned to "Reverse Cycle Views". What I was trying to explain was to see if the "S" key was assigned to other assignments.The second part of my suggestion was to have fs2002 regenerate a default fs2002.cfg, by removing the original one from your fs2002 folder. A default fs2002.cfg won't have duplicate assignments.I'll try to answer the other poster's suggestion concerning a runaway keyboard. He indicated to open Notepad and watch it for a short time period and see if "S" appeared on the blank Notepad sheet. This would indicate a keyboard was randomly generating "S" strokes without you actually typing on the keyboard. In this case, it would indicate a defective keyboard.

I don't know if this would apply-but on my system (windows xp) with usb controllers (chpro/pedals)-windows xp will "turn off" the usb port if it detects that is hasn't been touched for a given time period. I have had it turn for instance my rudder pedals off if I fly for a while on autopilot and don't touch them. There is a setting (if I recall system properties-click on the usb and change the power saving feature or something like that) you can turn off.It is possible that you are flying for a while on autopilot-the computer decides to shut off one or both of your control devices-then fs gets confused and manifests in the way you describe.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif