Sign in to follow this  

LCD Monitors

Guest TerryT

I currently have a old (5 years) AOC 9Glr (19") CRT am looking to upgrade to a LCD monitor.How many are using a LCD monitor to run FS2002 on? I have been looking at the various manufactures and the ViewSonic VG191 (19") seems to be one of the better ones in that large of size. The contrast ratio is 500:1 (600:1 typ) and a Response Time of 25Ms. The monitors last year were in the 15-17" range and contrast ratios of 300:1 with response times of 35-50Ms. From what I have read, you want the highest contrast ratio available and the quickest (lowest Ms) in order to get a good image, especially when running an animation (game).Terry

I'd be curious to hear about this as well: all my reading suggests using LCDs is *not* the way to go in FS2002, but they obviously take up a lot less room and have much less glare.The other thing that worries me about LCD monitors is their lifespan -- according to even the most enthusiastic proponents, a typical monitor isn't expected to last more than few years before it gets much dimmer than when new. I suspect I'll stick to my CRTs but if anyone has info to the contrary it would be nice to know.

I just got one, and the resolution, and non-glare effects are great. Don't know much about the lifespan, but in the future, they'll no doubt be cheaper. This is a 15" monitor, and the big deal is you get all of the 15 inches.Carl

Guest TerryT

Thanks Carl,Hope you like yours and it gives you many years of service. I imagine that when the "color" tvs came out, people didn't give them much of a chance either.Terry

And they were right -- the early color TVs were terrible, and didn't last very long (I know -- we had one of the first RCAs back in the early 60's).But there is a very real problem with LCD screens fading, as I mentioned. Even proponents admit it, and it's something that does concern me. I can see it in my laptop -- it's only three years old but not nearly as bright as new ones.There's no question the trend in the industry is towards LCD -- I can't remember for sure which maker (but I think it's Hitachi) but one of the major monitor makers has given up on CRTs. And I love the image on a new LCD -- perhaps others here could continue to comment on how well they work with FS (if they work well enough it would probably be worth it to buy a new LCD every couple of years).

Guest Howard

I use an 18 inch NEC Multisync 1830 at 1280x1024 on a GE Force 2 Pro and a Mitac 15AX at 1024x768 on a All in Wonder Radeon PCI. I would never go back to a CRT. This setup would take up too much space. The flat non-reflective screens and even illumination also are better than my old CRT. Perhaps new CRT's would be almost as good.Howard

Hi Terry..I use two Sony M81s in my XP/FS2002/FSNav Setup - my main FS2002 monitor is fed via a DVI cable from the GeForce 4 TI4600, using NVidia 29.42, from a XP2100 running with 512Mb on a A7333. The second 'FSNav' monitor is fed from a GeForce 2/AMD 1GHz.I was a little doubtful at first, but after seeing the contrast, view angle, and the perfect geometry, I was hooked. No smearing, perfect FS2002 graphics, and I'm having a ball. I'd recommend this combo to anyone using FS2002 - no hangs whatsoever. Just make sure you install the latest 4 in 1 drivers [g].Can't say definitely that the DVI route is a whole lot better than, say a VGA cable, but it does enable me to use the clearview fonts at 1280 x 1024, and that font is a real pleasure to use with Windows...The only drawback is the 'fixed' resolution i.e. I cannot go higher (unless I want to see just a portion of the full screen) - although I cannot fault the 'interpolation ?' when using a lower resolution (which I have very rarely used except as a check). But then FS2002 at 1280 x 1024 is just perfect for me anyway. When running FS2002 at 1600 x 1200 on my 'old' Sony GDM-F400 it did look a little 'artificial', if you know what I mean.The one deciding factor for me - was the fact that I could push my keyboard(s) back when using my CH yoke. With regard to the life span - I've really no idea. However the longest I've had a CRT monitor is about two years, since advances in monitors makes your upgrading really urgent after that length of time The old monitors are now doing the rounds from daughter, down to daughter, down to Brother in Law, down to...good riddance to CRT's, I say [g]. I will never return to CRTs.Go for it, Terry - you will not be disappointed.RegardsBillC