Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

A couple of Cessna 421C Golden Eagle questions...

I have a couple of questions on my new favorite GA plane, the 421C Golden Eagle. It has to do with trim settings. I usually try to transition from autopilot ALT hold to manual hand-fly on approach to the field, either after descending below 10000 or sometimes when I get the VATSIM approach clearance at about 2000-3000 feet. What I've noticed is that the autopilot ALT hold changes my nose trim setting and puts it all the way forward (-7) so by the time I disconnect the autopilot on approach my plane is competely out of trim. Hand-flying the descend and trying to bring the nose trim all the way from "-7" to "0" at the same time can a real pain.* Is there any way to setup the autopilot *not* to adjust the trim?* Is that ALT hold / nose trim behavior the same on the real world 421C aircraft?* How do you manage to bring the nose trim back to "0" on approach before landing, or should I just leave it wherever it is when I disconnect the ALT hold autopilot?My other question is regarding the FS2002 "sticky-tire-syndrome": most FS2002 aircraft (specially the small GA planes) take quite a bit of thrust to begin moving (taxing) -- but once they start moving, they gain speed too quickly, so you have to release the thrust just a little bit, which causes your taxi speed to quickly go back to zero, when it stops on the runway or ramp, the tires feel like they are stuck to the pavement. In other words, it's not easy to simply get the aircraft moving at a constant speed without too much thrust and keep it taxing without overspeeding or stopping. Are there any FDE settings that can be edited to get rid of the sticky-tires problem?I know that very few FS2002 have been able to achieve this easy taxi constant speed feature, one that comes to mind is the PSS A320, which IMO maintains a nice taxi speed, so there has to be an .air file setting that controls that.Thank you in advance,Kerke (KTMB)---

This isn't much help, but I haven't had the trim problems you're having. I do the same thing switching of the AP after a certain point in the descent, but the airplane is always in perfect trim when I do it. The only thing that comes to mind is if your joystick is being pulled back somehow while the AP is on, it has to adjust the trim full forward to compensate. But as long as your stick stays centered, you shouldn't be having this issue.

Guest SoarPics

Hi Kerke,I have to agree with Techazoid about the trim issue. I just completed a flight into KLAS from central California. Trimmed for a ROC of 500ft/min., woke up the AP at 3000' and climbed to my cruise altitude. Once the AP was enabled I zeroed my trim (Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS). On approach I did have to trim the 421 to follow the 500ft/min. descent. No problems at all. Perhaps an inspection of your controller would yield something.As for the "sticky tires" issue, I agree some aircraft are better than others. I like the way this feature is done in the 421, though. Takes a bit of power to "break" the thing lose, then power back to taxi speed.Hope this helps in some way,

>This isn't much help, but I haven't had the trim problems >you're having. I do the same thing switching of the AP after >a certain point in the descent, but the airplane is always >in perfect trim when I do it.Techazoid, do you mean that when you disconnect your AP, your 421C trimm indicator arrow on the panel is back pointing to "0"? Can the aircraft be considered to be "trimmed" when the trimm indicator arrow is not pointing to "0"?>The only thing that comes to >mind is if your joystick is being pulled back somehow while >the AP is on, it has to adjust the trim full forward to >compensate. But as long as your stick stays centered, you >shouldn't be having this issue. I don't use a joystick, never have -- I just use my keyboard, with which I have developed pretty good flying skills over my FSim years :-badteethThanks for your reply,Kerke---

>I don't use a joystick, never have -- I just use my >keyboard, with which I have developed pretty good flying >skills over my FSim years :-badteeth There's no point whatsoever im my programming a very precise flight model (the C421 is my work) for you to enjoy if you insist on using a keyboard ...

Steve, I have an old CH Flightsitck Pro joystick that I have tried using many times, but I just can't seem to have control of any FSim aircraft when I've used my joystick, so I always go back to my keyboard.I wonder if this is just a calibration issue or maybe my old joystick is not good quality. Many FSimmers have recommended that I get a joystick and I am getting ready to go get one (I need it for the PSS A320 anyway), which one do you recommend that is not too pricy? Or should I just try to calibrate my old CH Flightstick Pro?Regardless of what I use, I do appreciate the quality work you've done with this aircraft as well as the other air files you have worked on (like the Baron B58).Best regards from Miami,Kerke---

Guest Scott Campbell

Kerke,If it's a choice of ANY joystick or KB, I'd just get a nice analog one. They're like $26 US.I can't even imagine getting the sophisication of FS and using a KB. As you know, you are really missing out on a major aspect of flying.There are plenty of sticks out there. Just go to your local computer store and have a look-see at what you like. You don't need the latest gee-whiz digital ones, something simple will suffice.However, to get the best out of Steve's stunningly accurate and beautiful FD, you really need a yoke. Few people are selling those any more, and even fewer are selling good ones.

"do you mean that when you disconnect your AP, your 421C trim indicator arrow on the panel is back pointing to "0"? Can the aircraft be considered to be "trimmed" when the trimm indicator arrow is not pointing to "0"?"Not necessarily at 0, no. I mean it's set where it needs to be to maintain the desired attitude. The aircraft is "trimmed" when the aerodynamic forces on the yoke are 0. That's almost always a little off of 0. Haven't flown without a joystick since FS2.0, but it doesn't work the same way. When using a joystick (and on a real aircraft) the trim is usually slightly up in level flight. Most aircraft are designed to require a slight back pressure to fly level (among ather reasons, this ensures that the nose will drop in a stall.) The trim wheel is used to adjust the aerodynamic forces on the elevator, and thus the control yoke, so the pilot doesn't have to constantly hold back pressure. Normally what the pilot does is hold the yoke in the correct position to keep the plane level, then adjust the trim wheel until the forces on it go away. In effect, the trim tab holds the yoke in the correct position. The amount of trim required depends on airspeed and altitude (and temperature and pressure density, and blah, blah, blah).When your trim is at zero, you would normally have to hold the stick back to keep level, but when using a keyboard you don't notice you're doing it since there's no "pressure" on the keys. I suspect what's happening is that your yoke is back when you switch the autopilot on, thus forcing it to trim DOWN to counteract the yoke position, that's why it acts so squirrely when you switch the AP off.Let me echo Scott on the joystick thing other than to add that if your system supports USB then definately go that route. They're self calibrating, generally more precise and use less CPU resources than the old 15 pin types. You can find a simple 3 axis, 4 button type for around $20 to $25 at most computer stores.

>When your trim is at zero, you would normally have to hold >the stick back to keep level, but when using a keyboard you >don't notice you're doing it since there's no "pressure" on >the keys. I suspect what's happening is that your yoke is >back when you switch the autopilot on, thus forcing it to >trim DOWN to counteract the yoke position, that's why it >acts so squirrely when you switch the AP off. >Very true. My "brain matter" has developed a pretty good feel of my Saitek joystick to mimic that of real flight & a electric button trim control. I can feel pressures as well as anticipate releasing an auto-pilot that is perhaps in a descent mode. I don't have the problems of the original post.L.Adamson

Hey Soarpics, I have a Digital thrusty set up from the previous generations...F16 TQS, plus F22 Stick converted digital with Bob Churches EPROMS. How big a difference is there with the cougar stuff? I am wanting to add rudder pedals, so what can be added to the cougar vs my digital thrusty set up now?Write me at email if possible as Im very interested in this subject without diverting this one.. ejoiner2@bellsouth.net.ThanksEric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg