Sign in to follow this  

Restore FS2k2 Questions

Guest Joshieca

Ok I had to reformat my C drive today, and reinstall WINXP. I keep my FS2002 files on another partition so I didn't loose any data. It seems to work just fine without having to reinstall anything.My Question is this...is there a way to "fake" or add a registry entry so that other programs that look for this to find their way to F2k2 can find it?[br][br][div align=center]http://members.cox.net/joshieca/fstimeslink.gif][br

Do a minimal install of FS to a new directory.Copy or move all your old files to this new directory. You will now have your old installation in this new directory/folder.If you are particularly attached to the directory name that you used previously, rename it. When you do your fresh install you will be able to re-use the folder name without overwriting anything. You will still copy everything from your old (renamed) directory to the new one with the recycled name.Doug Dawson

a question: how do you do an install if fs [full] is already installed? i just tried loading the #1cd and fs wanted to fly. i don't get an "install" option, just uninstall, register and "start now"{= fly] suggestions? tom t

Guest Tim W

Rename your FS directory to something else (i.e. FS2002_old) This will fool the installer into thinking it's not installedThen you will be able to reinstall FS2002 again.You will then have a fresh install under c:/FS2002 and a backup c:/fs2002_old. (for instance)From the new fs2002 directory, back up your origninal aircraft/gauges/scenery/modules/texture folders somewhere safe (+ any folder you intend to move back to the new install!) then copy over the same folders from the fs2002_old directory and overwrite. Also copy any other folders you have data in and want to keep.If something goes wrong, you can then copy back the saved directories and be back with a fresh install again. If you have addon scenery installed you have to copy the scenery.cfg over as well.Take it slowly and carefully folder by folder and you should be ok. You will also need to copy some files from the root c:/fs2002 directory as well. depending on whats there. Such as your fs2002.cfg that contains your joystick assignments etc.I did this last weekend and it worked fine.RegardsTim

Guest Joshieca

Thanks....I got it to work, but it just doesn't feel right...So I will start from scratch with a 2nd F2K2 install and then copy over things one by one. :(

I just got through doing the same thing. I did a fresh install of WinXP Pro including reformatting with NTFS.Then I did a fresh install of FS2K2 and made sure that worked. That got my registry cleaned up.Then I simply copied from a backup the contents of my entire FS2K2 folder in one single operation into the new FS2K2 folder.Worked ALMOST perfectly. I say almost because after I got through I found I did not have a pilots voice for my own aircraft. ATC could talk and even respond to my requests. But my own voice was never heard nor even the text of my side of any exchanges with ATC.I found that under Settings/ATC there was no pilot voice assignment--it was blank. As soon as I chose a voice, bingo, everything worked fine. I guess the pilot voice choice is something stored in the registry.Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)