Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

How to assign ground textures to certain areas?

Guest gasebah

I know that there is a possibility to assign ground textures to certain areas e.g. Lennart's textures to Europe. I read an article about that one but cannot find it anymore.Anyone who knows how to do it ???Alex

One thing to try (this is just a theory)....Create "dummy" landclass files using Landclass Assistant for the area you want to use custom textures for.... This would take about an hour to cover all of Europe, give or take. Each landclass .bgl would only consist of the mask value of 254, meaning FS2002 would look for the standard texture names...Create a folder called "Lennart's Europe"--you'd copy the dummy bgl's into the scenery folder, and Lennart's textures along with the default MS .agn files into the texture folder. You'd then just put an entry for this in your scenery.cfg...The premise behind this theory is the way FS2002 treats landclass scenery when it sees a texture subfolder. When it sees the texture subfolder, it looks for (and loads) the textures and .agn files within. This is why some people who install landclass files in their own folder often see "blank" textures--they create the texture subfolder out of habit, but don't populate it with any textures. Landclass files can be run from their own folder if the texture subfolder is either deleted, or populated with the textures the .bgl is looking for.I have no idea whether this would work--I don't have Lennart's textures. But it's easy to test. Just create a dummy landclass.bgl for one LOD 5 grid, and do what I describe. Then fly from an airport outside of that grid into the one where you've created the bgl and loaded the textures. If the textures take on the appearance of Lennart's, then the theory works....-John

Guest gasebah

Well. that is it!! I have LandClass Scenery packs anyway for almost anywhere I fly. so this should be the way to assign Lennart to Europe and leave the rest untouched. If I find nice textures for another cotinent.. there we go.Thx,ALex

Guest gasebah

Works like a charm. I have the Landclass Scenery Pack Europe. Made a scenery folder Europe LC.bgls in the scenery folder, Lennart's textures in the Textures folder. Add to the scenery database.Result:Lennart's textures in Europe, default txtures in the rest of the world.Great,Alex

Awesome!Thanks for the follow-up....always been wondering about this myself, as there's certain areas where I prefer the older FS2000 textures...-John

Guest GerrishGray

Interesting! Did you manage to get this to work without 'globalising' the default ground textures by moving them to texture instead of

Guest gasebah

Hi Gerrish,default textures are in scenerydb/world/textures. No prob so far.Alex

Guest gasebah

I will check agian when I am back home(working now :-)). There is a slight chance that I moved the textures to fs2002/textures accidently month ago.Alex

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysCan you confirm that this technique for using local ground textures works correctly WITHOUT having to "globalise" the default ground textures first of all? Earlier testing suggested that one had to move the default ground textures from their original location of scenedbworldtexture to the main texture folder texture to get this to work correctly.RegardsGerrish

Guest gasebah

Hi Gerrish,yep there is 100% confirmation from here. Works flawless for me.Alex