Sign in to follow this  
Guest JDavidson

Paro Airport, Bhutan

Guest JDavidson

Having tried, and failed, to land successfully at Paro I thought I might search on the internet for any useful information. Below is a fantastic link I discovered which discusses a series of demonstration flights by Boeing to Druk Air as potential customers of the -700.www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_23/737-700Bhutan_story.htmlI hope that this is of interest.James Davidson

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey James,Nice article, shame there wasn't a video camera in the cockpit ;)Do you, by chance, know where I can get charts for Paro? That story has made me want to go try it out for myself.CheersDavid

Guest Marc Harrington

Looks interesting... though they opted for the A319 in the end.Cheers!

Guest JDavidson

I have had the devil's own job finding any charts for Paro; my Jeppesen charts do not include the critical circling approach and will simply get you overhead the airport 5000' feet higher than the runway. Inevitably a rather steep cliff ends my current landing attempts.Without wanting to sound too obsessive I have emailed Druk Air to see whether they could come up trumps.James

Guest meyomyx

Let me know if you have any luck!Cheers

Guest Erups

I tried it with the 700.Succeeded in clearing the runway only once.One major thing disturbs me: how do i override N1 selection?I tried turning the knob on the main panel, line-selecting a manual N1 in the FMC N1 page as it was possible before.No luck.I could do nothing to obtain more then 97.9% :(How do i do?

Here are some shots from airliner.net:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/539779/L/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/540452/L/Great read on the article.

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Claudio,No need to override anything. At that altitude and that temp 97.9% is max thrust with the B24. You wouldn't gain anything with maxing it out to 104%Hope it helps,

Guest Erups

Then just how (the hell) do you take off from there???:(I have empty central tank, and not so much weight aboard.ZFW: 106klbs.I tried 5,10,15 flaps.I got it only once.But noone would have ever authorized anything like that :-lol

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey James et all,If you get anything from Durk Air can you let us know? I could only find a made up version of a straight in approach for Paro, noting from real life.Haven't tried it in the NG but managed it in the B1900.CheersDavid

Claudio,I wouldn't be too disappointed if you didn't succeed with that take-off. Boeing had the B26 engines on that -700BBJ they made the tests with. We only have the B24 engines so your lacking 4 klbs of thrust here. :-)I didn't succeed either. ;-) Guess the obstacle climb weight is the limiting factor here. Would be nice to see some obstacle charts on VQPR.Cheers,

Guest Erups

Hey Mats!I did it.Same weight config as before, only 10klbs of fuel (5000ft per wing tank).Full brakes until 95% N1, and 10

On my system Paro has been incorrectly sunk into a shoebox, probably due to inadeqate mesh data vs airfield elevation. As can be seen in the photos only MSFS has 500' sheer cliffs off one end of the airfield.The straight in chart is a non-precision approach. It gets you over the field and hopefully in sight of the runway. From there you'll be most likely doing teardrops onto the opposite end (or you would be if Microsoft hadn't messed up the surrounding terrain).